A Death in the Family

March 15, 2006, 12:43 a.m. - Miami

I landed next to the pool and walked briskly toward the beach house’s back entrance.

The scent of another immortal found me. Lucy was still in the premises.

I entered the house and didn’t find any obstacles. The cold black stone floor suddenly made me realize that I was barefooted.

The only piece of clothing that had survived the flames provoked by my reentry into the atmosphere was two-thirds of my pants, conveniently covering my dignity and half of my legs.

I passed by the hall mirror and caught sight of my reflection. I saw with horror a badly burned, half-naked creature. There were the Gypsy eyes still, but my features were hidden under a dark mass of burned skin. I was half bald, with the surviving crisp hair forming a thin layer over my scalp.

I continued walking toward the left wing of the house, to the front door of the hidden holding cell.

Then I felt Jason behind me. I turned to find his cold eyes staring at me.

“Are you okay?” he asked.

“Do I look okay?” I answered.

I turned and was about to open the cell door when he spoke again.

“Renzo, we have a serious problem.”

Slowly, I turned to face him. I stayed silent, expecting the worst.

“After you left the warehouse, I tried my best to stop the others, but there were some that escaped. I couldn’t follow all of them. Morning was minutes away, and I had to find shelter,” he said.

“Don’t worry, we’ll get them,” I said.

“There’s something else,” he added. “I’m not sure, but it seems there’s evidence of some kind regarding what and who we are that they have in their possession.”

I remembered Jean’s threat in front of my impostor. I also remember that he had a book that contained information about me.

“You may be right. The man in the warehouse, Jean—he had a book with information about me,” I said.

“A book? What book?” Jason asked.

“I don’t know. I just know that he got it, somehow, in the old country. That’s how he found me in the first place,” I said.

“Why didn’t you get it?” Jason insisted.

“I thought I had more time. Besides, I kind of lost my body,” I said, turning for the third time toward the cell door.

“You have to leave,” Jason said firmly, making me stop for a moment.

He was probably right, but I couldn’t leave. Not now, not like this.

I opened the steel door, walked into the room, and then closed the door behind me.

The cell was in complete darkness, but I knew Lucy would be able to see me as clear as day. On the ground was the lifeless body of the young girl, and in a corner was Lucy, waiting. I saw the quick movement of her head, her vampire eyes; and my heart sank. Horrified, she moved away from me and, unaware of her new abilities, smashed the wall behind her.

“Stay away from me!” she yelled.

I felt rage mixed with sadness, and, unable to help myself, I did the exact opposite of what she was asking.

“Don’t be afraid,” I said.

“What have you done to me?” she shouted in panic.

“It wasn’t me,” I said with sadness, as though by simply saying those words, I would somehow be absolved. But reality doesn’t work like that.