First Blood

March 11, 2005, 1:10 a.m. Miami

Darkness . . .

The entire place was submerged in complete darkness, and I felt right at home.

It could have been a perfect me time if not for the beams coming from the several flashlights giving away the position of those who did not belong in the dark. I heard them running through the corridors checking every room as they headed toward the basement.

However, it was not I who was there. It was Hunter, and it was through his eyes that I was seeing and with his legs that I was walking. We walked without hurry, perhaps because he couldn’t see two steps ahead of him or maybe because he was different from the others. He had an idea of the type of force they were about to encounter.

Slowly, the soldier followed the mercenaries. I was impressed by the level of control of his emotions. I felt his heart beat, strong, furious and ready. Then we heard shots, shouts, and quick movements.

Instinctively, Hunter looked for the angles. Being an experienced combatant, he knew that the best chance for an effective offensive was at the flanks.

“Break!” we heard one of the mercenaries yelling not too far away.

The group of mercenaries divided themselves into four pairs, each pair walking back to back, covering every angle.

Suddenly, a huge shadow jumped out at them, and bullets started flying in every direction.

Hunter knelt against a wall and turned his night-vision goggles on. There we saw my impostor using the walls, the ceiling, and the ground to grab each one of the mercenaries. I knew the speed of my movements looked unreal to Hunter and to any mortal. I knew they saw me as nothing but a blur every time. Then my impostor snatched one of the mercenaries away into the darkness, taking him up toward the distant ceiling.

“Everybody, report!” the team leader ordered.

“We lost blue two!” one of the mercenaries on the other side of the room reported.

Then the blur came back from behind, taking a second mercenary out of the room. A few moments passed, and we heard shots and then a scream of horror in the distance.

“Mark?” the team leader asked.

Again, the blur appeared, taking another man; and again, moments later, we heard him screaming in the distance.

“What the hell is happening?” another one of the mercenaries shouted.

“It’s him! He’s here!” the leader replied.

The blur reappeared, but this time, the team leader was ready. He took aim and shot at the blur’s direction; but the darts hit three of his men on the other side of the room instead. The men fell screaming in pain and horror before losing their consciousness forever. In the end, the blur took away the only other man standing in the room, leaving the mercenary leader alone. Moments later, just like before, the man who was taken screamed in agony in the darkness.

The team leader walked back toward the wall behind him, aiming his weapon in all directions. Soon his back hit the wall, and then he grabbed a radio from his combat belt.

“Blue one to red two, over,” he whispered.

Through Hunter’s eyes, I saw my body in the farthest corner, slowly crawling down the wall toward the mercenary. My body was completely covered by the ruling darkness in the room. I heard Hunter’s thoughts and felt his intentions. He was fascinated by my abilities.