Understanding

They didn't speak again until they made camp for the night. It was raining and despite having found a rocky out cropping to shelter under, Vilkas couldn't get the damp firewood to light.

"I can get it," Krinna sighed. She reached her hand to the pile of wood and began casting flames at it. It took a couple of minutes, but the wood soon dried enough to catch.

"I didn't realize you could do so much magic, Harbinger," Vilkas commented, he tried not to sound irritable when he said it, but judging by her frown he had anyway. She sighed grumpily again before responding.

"It's not my preferred method of getting a job done, but it does come in handy from time to time."

"Like when your shield-brother misjudges a fight and tries to save his Harbinger..." Vilkas whispered. He hadn't been sure she'd heard him for a moment, but then she sighed again, less grumpy this time.

"Especially then," she replied in a softer tone. "I'm sorry I yelled at you," she added, "but you scared me."

Her words brought a hopeful flutter back to Vilkas's heart. "I'm sorry I misjudged," he said softly.

She sighed again. "I'm just glad I learned that healing spell."

Vilkas chuckled in spite of himself. "Me too." They were both quiet for several moments before Vilkas spoke again. "Thank you," he said quietly. Krinna just nodded while she fiddled with a stick in the fire. "If you don't mind me asking," he began again very tentatively, "when did you learn that healing spell?"

She looked up at him and seemed to consider very carefully before answering; "I bought it from Farengar this morning."

"This morning, after you barged into my room looking relieved to see me?" Vilkas asked. She didn't answer for at least a minute. She stared into the fire looking deep in thought. Finally, she sighed and spoke; "the Elder Scrolls are very powerful. In the wrong hands they could tear the fabric of time apart... I'm supposed to be responsible with this one, but... I panicked."

"That was no dream," he said. The understanding sinking in.

"No," she said, still staring at the fire. Then she looked back up at him and he saw there were tears in her eyes. "But I can't do that again, it was irresponsible. If you go down again... Vilkas... I can't..."

Her voice trailed off as Vilkas leaned forward and took her hands in his. He'd never wanted so much to hold her in his arms and kiss her. But then his hands brushed over the ring on her finger and he froze; the reminder hit him like ice in his chest. She wasn't his, she would never be his.

"I'm sorry," he said quietly, "and thank you Harbinger. I won't be so careless next time." He let go of her hands and imagined she looked disappointed about it. He looked back into the pouring rain and another thought occurred to him. "Who else knows you have that Scroll?" He asked.

"Only you," came her quiet response.

"Best keep it that way," he suggested, "wouldn't want even more trouble coming after you, now would we?" He glanced back at her and she simply nodded in agreement. Vilkas realized she looked exhausted. "Get some rest," he advised. "I'll take the first watch."

Krinna curled up in a bedroll, armor and all with no protest.

Vilkas watched the rain and tried to wrap his mind around this new information... she'd saved him, twice... one of those times she'd actually torn the very fabric of time to do it...  how could she have gone off and married someone else? He clearly meant something to her... part of him wanted to just forget the ring, to kiss her anyway... but that would not be the honorable thing to do... and if she actually was married, she would certainly shut him down, and Vilkas didn't think he could handle that. Or worse, if he made his feelings known and she responded by distancing herself from him... no, he couldn't do that.