chapter 3 - tease

it was the next morning. sunlight beamed through the small cracks in the blinds of james' room, spilling across the light auburn flooring and the grey and white blanket that covered the two sas operators.

mark laid flat on his back, leg hanging off the side of the bed to the point where his foot touched the fluffy carpeted ground from the lack of space in james' single-sized. his hand rested on his bare stomach, sunlight dotting around his pale skin as he slept.

beside him laid his favorite partner on his side, eyes open and squinting from brightness. an early bird, he watched his chest rise and fall in a steady pace, hand resting upon his larger one. he cracked a smile, circling the back of his hand with his index finger, sneaking glances at mark's blank expression. gentle snores were the only sound emitted amongst them.

as an eager thought itched at his mind, james slipped his leg across mark's to scratch it, resting it between his thighs and scooting himself closer so that their bodies were touching. as he closed his eyes from the serenity, hoping to drift asleep once more, his alarm tone rang painfully loud, causing him to jump with a wince of dismay.

mark groaned and stirred, eyes peeling open slowly as a red-faced james watched him in embarrassment when realising the awkward position their bodies were in.

he tilted his head towards james, giving him a weak, sleepy smile, then extended his free hand across to pat his back. james quickly snatched his hand away, realising it was still resting on his to which mark furrowed his brows. he then realised the warmth on his legs, averting his gaze from james to the blanket he had lifted, revealing his leg tangled around his own. he snickered fondly, shaking his head as james whined and shoved his face into the pillow to conceal his redness.

"if you wanted a snuggle so bad, you coulda just asked, freak." he teased, poking his side to release a small giggle followed by another whine.

"only joking." he chuckled, shifting his body into a sitting position.

"do we have training today?" james asked to quickly change the subject, almost a whisper that was muffled by his pillow.

"i recon. i'll have to check with marius though, he wanted to train with us today." he informed as he stretched, james' sneaking a cheeky glance at his abs then peeling his eyes away.

"will monika be there?" he asked quietly.

"i'm guessing so, she wanted to try out her upgraded tech and whatever." he replied.

"ah okie.. cool." his voice was even lower in volume than before.

"what's the matter? someone have a crushie on our good friend, iq?" he teased, poking his side once more. james scoffed and rolled his eyes, still face down in the pillow.

"not on her, idiot... on you, dumbass" he whispered in annoyance, but his voice was so muffled that mark couldn't make out the last part clearly.

"what'you say?" he asked curiously, eyebrow popping up with suspicion.

"n-nothing. it doesn't matterrrrr." he extended the 'r' sound to emphasise his annoyance.

"alrighty then, dummy. come on, we should get up now.. that is if you get your big ass leg off me." he chuckled teasingly.

"ugh, shut up." he punched his arm lightly then pulled his leg away.

"i gotta say, you're quite comfy to sleep beside, but i didn't appreciate your cold ass feet on my legs waking me up like ten times out of pure shock." he tried to sound annoyed but james knew he was just joking. he groaned in response and shoved the blanket off him, hiding his blushing cheeks in his shirt like always. mark snickered but felt bad for teasing him so much that early in the morning.

"oh and one more thing, you look like a tomato, there's no hiding that." he smirked smugly as he got up from the bed.

"okay, fuck you. i've had enough, oh my god!" he stormed out of his room, footsteps banging against the floorboards as he slammed the door behind him.

although hot-headed and often short-tempered, mark always knew that he was the one who could calm him down. he wasn't worried at all, he knew he'd come around in half an hour or so.

"i'm sorry, jam jar! you're too easy to tease!" he yelled after him, still chuckling lowly as he shook his head.

"ah well, gotta love the guy." he admitted to himself, exiting the room shortly.