Scene 1 - Bedtime

The house of Tom Clarke. 10PM, pitch-black at night. Mid-May time, the stressful time of students for their GCSEs, where we revise all night long cramming in the entire specification before the exam. A time of stress, headaches, and misery for us young adults. Tom sits in his room, the lights lit. Busy working at his desk, he tirelessly answers the convoluted and nonsensical exam questions regarding Biology – plants. Very interesting. The room shut so it's just him on his own to concentrate. Now onto the difficult six marker, he writes his answer out in bullet point format, with significant parts of the questions highlighted blue. His desk is littered with papers and pens and highlighters, with his massive chunks of notes hidden away so he doesn't try to cheat. He is tired, black bags underneath his eyes. His hand over his brow.

Tom:

I can't do this tomorrow. I can't!

His dad knocks on the door.

Michael:

Tom, it's ten. You need your sleep for tomorrow.

Tom finally gets up and opens the door, letting his dad in before sitting back down again.

Tom:

I can't do this tomorrow dad. I'm so tired.

Michael:

That's why you need your sleep Tom. You've worked all evening for your exam. If your mother were here, she would say to just do your best. That's all she would ask for.

Tom:

Yeah. Suppose so. But I thought I could find a spell that would let me learn all the content for biology. I asked Moon about it and he said there was nothing he could do. He said that you couldn't learn the specific type of content for tomorrow.

Michael:

Well. How's Benny doing?

Tom:

He's not revising. He knows the textbook back to front. Word for word. He was saying that he could wish that he could have magic and know the spec for the exam. Just one dad?

Michael:

No Tom. That's not fair. Not on everyone else in the entire country. At least it's in the afternoon so you can stay at home to revise here.

Tom:

Thanks dad. What was it like when you did your GCSE's?

Michael:

My O Levels? Well, I don't particularly remember doing that well. I suppose it isn't that much difference, only a different grade system for some odd reason of the government, and tougher exams.

Tom:

Yeah. The government. They want to apparently want to compete with the East against grades. Dad, what if the Nekross...

Michael:

Well, if they do invade we will handle it. Now, your rest is just as much as important.

Tom:

But I need to finish my marking.

Michael:

Tom, you're dad made that mistake for one of his last O Level exams. Fell asleep in one of my English.

Tom:

In your English?

Michael:

Yes. Good thing I did well in my first English Language.

Tom:

What grade did you get in the end?

Michael:

C. Now, bedtime.

His dad leaves. Tom puffs heavily before he throws himself on the bed. He is fed up with the stress of his GCSEs. And that's even before his first exam!

Tom:

For once I actually wish for the Nekross to invade. Might get me out of my exams though.

He shuts his eyes...