Scene 3 - The Wilderness

Nighttime. The household of Tom Clarke, quiet and asleep. He has fallen asleep on his bed, exactly as he left it before. The light still on. His dad quietly enters, then realizing that Tom is asleep. Michael is also ready for bed, dressed in his gown and slippers, smiling as he presses the lights.

Michael:

Goodnight Tom. Sweet dreams.

He gently shuts the door, leaving Tom to dream peacefully on his own. Outside, the strange meteor approaches the house but is far too small. An object, a floating object. It is inside a container – some green plant, with some yellow eye inside it. A living organism inside. It floats around the house, then suddenly floats up towards the window. Tom's window. It then passes through it, not smashing it. It gently zooms around for a bit, carefully analyzing the objects around, like the books and the table. Once it finally sees Tom, it scans over him. And then gently lowers itself down to him onto his head. He begins to dream, but then not sort of dreaming.

Tom is thrown down onto some grass, awake. Some forest. He rises. Afraid and scared. Where was he? He rushes around, spinning around and around. A mysterious, creepy smoke around the strange forest. Clouds bleached of any interesting colour. Trees stretched high up into those strange clouds. A greyness around, a grey atmosphere. Some screaming of animals somewhere in the fog, miles away. Tom begins to sweat. Grass stretching across this eerie wilderness.

Tom:

Hello? Nobody. Please tell me this is just a dream.

A voice from somewhere calls from his left.

Rodkorr:

Boy! Get out of there! GET OUT!

Tom:

Wait, who are you?

Rodkorr:

THIS WAY! HURRY!

Tom rushes towards the old man. And then, some grub jumps out from the mud, trying to grab something, perhaps Tom! It wriggles out. A giant grub! It wriggles on the mud, before it dives back down into the mud, burrowing its way down again. Tom has rushed over into the swirling smoke, rushing over to the strange man who called out to him. He finds him. An old man with a long white beard like Santa. A long black cloak he wears, covering him from his head below down to his feet. An old stick he helps walk with, and the same special artefact that brought Tom to this odd and unsettling world. They greet.

You have to watch out my boy. You never know what to expect here.

Tom:

Thank you. Where am I?

Rodkorr:

The Wilderness. My home planet. Or was. I suppose you want to ask so many questions like who I am and why are you here Thomas Clarke. Come. It is safe now.

They begin walking through the smoke.

Tom:

Well what am I doing here. And what have you just saved me from?

Rodkorr:

Allow me to explain – everything. This terrain is safe for now. I feel no other life forms around within miles bar that little grub that tried to make you it's super.

Tom:

You know my name so you obviously need me for something.

Rodkorr:

Ah. Indeed I do. The Nekross.

Tom halts in shock.

Tom:

The Nekross? You know them too?

Rodkorr:

Indeed. Very well. My home planet you walk upon is what is left of my planet Goredemma. Welcome to your first alien planet Thomas. Come along dear boy.

Tom:

And the Nekross came to your planet too then. And drained all magic from this planet?

Rodkorr:

Precisely. My people. My land. My cities. Well, not necessarily my cities but that is not the point. The point is that two years ago the Nekross wiped out my entire planet and drained all their magic to feast on. And now I have nothing left.

Tom:

And how did you escape from them?

Rodkorr:

A rather reliable Sigma you could say. And she is far too strong for the Nekross. But she is lost. Where I know not. But she gave me this – the Eye of Goredemma.

Tom:

Then whoever she is, can she help us?

Rodkorr:

Unfortunately no. She is lost in her own battle. I have been wandering the universe for the last two years inside this container. In fact, I still am. Right now Thomas you are still asleep in your bedroom. But this is no dream I assure you.

Tom:

So it took you two years to find the Earth?

Rodkorr:

There is nobody else left in the universe that can destroy the Nekross. Earth is our last hope. Thanks to you Tom and your friends you have protected Wizard kind from extinction from the Nekross. We owe you a great debt Thomas Clarke.

Tom:

And so you are going to use me...

Rodkorr:

To wipe out the Nekross once and for all...