57 - Break Down & Into Your Heart

Friday, October 3

"Dear Hestia,

It hurts me to do it and I know you'll be mad at me, but please know I am absolutely wretched as I write this.

I don't think you should come to Sussex on Friday. I erroneously told Derek about your offer to join the secret thing over dinner that day after you'd left. He thought Gwen was right about it. He didn't say anything when you came to tell us of Dedalus' death because he knows how much we loved him. But he's adamant now that you should not come over unnecessarily, since he knows you're part of it now. He says I should think about the safety of our children. And as much as it pains me, he's right. My children mean the world to me - I simply cannot risk having contact with you when we know it's not safe.

Little Di is sad though. I told her last week you'd be coming and she keeps asking eagerly when you'll be home. I don't know what to say to her now. But I don't want you to be alone on Friday and so I've asked Gwen to make a visit.

I'm deeply sorry it has come to this, but these are desperate times, Estie. Derek says two of his colleagues have disappeared and it only adds to my worry for you. You're my older sister and I cannot force you to, but will you please leave them for good, like I asked you to at Dedalus' funeral? Nothing good can come from you being with them. Have you seen in the Daily Prophet what happened to them all the last time around? Haven't you seen what happened to Dedalus?

I'm scared for you, Estie, I really am. You know your secret is safe with me and Derek, but for your own good, please don't get entangled with their lot.

Much love,

Demi.

P.S Gwen was a bit too excited when I asked her to stop by your house on Friday. That worries me. Please don't let her drag you off to a club or something.

P.P.S On second thought, it's not such a bad idea. You could meet someone you like and make out if you want to. That always helps on a bad day.

Hestia's morning had soured when she read the letter from her sister. She had been looking forward to see her niece and nephew but she was denied her only means of escape.

As much as she was upset, she could not resent her for what she had done. It made sense that she should limit her contact with them. Though even the Death Eaters were unaware of her being in the Order, it could not be kept a secret forever. She had no choice but to grudgingly accept Demi's decision.

Was she going to keep losing all her family till she was finally alone for good?

A stray tear escaped her eyes but she reined her emotion in. Demetra was only being cautious - she had not cast her away from the family or anything. Perhaps, she did not want to see her until the war was over. That could be in a year or a few or even decades.

What if she never saw them again? The unbidden thought left her dazed.

She did not want to leave the Order however, no matter what Demi said. Hestia was a very private person and she loved spending time alone. But she was also human and she needed to see at least a few familiar faces now and then to remind herself that even if she was alone, she wasn't lonely. And she had grown to care for and rely on each of the Order members in the last couple of years. She could not just push them away too.