Chapter 6

Snow gently fell in a thin layer on the crumpled forest floor. It seemed as if ash was still visible under every dead leaf. Branchstalk felt a sadness loom over him as he stared across the border. He wanted to see a little ginger figure run towards him. He didn't even want an apology. He wanted his apprentice back. It's my fault, Branchstalk thought. I was too hard on her. Her brother and mother died.. His heart tugged. My mother died.. my father.. my kin.. Branchstalk felt a hard lump in his throat. My brother.. his heart ached as he thought of Tigertooth.. or Tigerfire as his new name. His whole body hurt. Everything started so perfect. What happened?

Kits and apprentices start out so oblivious, new and naive to the world. They wish to explore everything. Branchstalk wished he could go back to that, getting badger-back rides from Tigerfang with his sister. He sat besides the prey pile, besides Bramblesight and Mossheart. Bramblesight was gazing worriedly at Branchstalk. 

"Is the fire my fault?" The gray tom choked. 

"Why would it be your fault?" Branchstalk managed, his eyes sunken. 

"I knew it was coming. For so long. When I looked into Graypaw's eyes.. I saw how he was to die.. and I did nothing.." Bramblesight whimpered. He almost forgot of his brother's powers. "Why did StarClan curse me like this?" His brother cried. Branchstalk pressed his muzzle into his brother's fur, Mossheart rested her head on his back. 

"It's okay Bramblesight.. Silvermoon needs to stop blaming cats other than Blackfeather! He's the one who did this!" Mossheart mewed sympathetically

. "Silvermoon is trying her best," Branchstalk defended limply. "She's stressed out at the current moment." He murmured. Bramblesight sniffled, before lifting his head.

 "You're going to end Redstar's tyranny." He vowed. Branchstalk blinked.

 "I definitely won't. I can't fight some cat like him." 

"Grief does a lot to a cat," Bramblesight murmured. It almost looked like his pupils were not his own, but those of a StarClan cat who lived long ago. "You'd be surprised what you're capable of, Branchstalk." Branchstalk held his tongue, just trying to enjoy his moments with his brother and sister for awhile longer.

Branchstalk went to his new den, picking out some herbs for the coming wave of illness. He needed to be prepared, be ready. No more cats would die on his paws. Not while he was alive, at least. Fever-few, catmint, honey, everything needed to keep a cat safe and happy. Branchstalk wasn't going to let anyone die. Not anymore. He would never fail again. 

"Branchstalk," Silvermoon meowed suddenly. Her eyes looked serious and round. 

"Yes?" Branchstalk answered. "Is some cat sick?? Injured?? Expecting??" He frantically asked. Silvermoon looked away.

"Twistedleg came to my patrol and I at the border," She started. "He's sent over some more herbs." Silvermoon added.

"Than why the long face?" Branchstalk asked, concerned. "You came in looking like you needed to tell me something important and urgent." 

Silvermoon stared sadly at Branchstalk. "A SnowClan cat has dug up Hollyeyes' grave. We don't know who or why.. but when we all visited the burial site. Her body was out.." The she-cat sighed. "We reburied her the best we could, Cloudtuft and I looked around to see if any other bodies had been dug up.. but it was just hers." Branchstalk felt his throat burn hotter than the forest fire. He couldn't protect the living or the dead.. "I wanted to tell you because.. I need poppy seeds, anything to help with the feelings I have in my chest.." Silvermoon murmured. Branchstalk nodded, getting some poppy seeds and feeding them to his sister. 

"Can you sleep in my den tonight?" Branchstalk managed, his voice barely a whisper. Silvermoon blinked and nodded. 

"Of course," She replied. Branchstalk buried his face into her fur. 

"I miss them.. so much.." He cried. 

"I do too.." Silvermoon murmured. "I miss them everyday."