My Knight in Shining Versace

THURSDAY MORNING

 "Dane! Come in, I made chocolate chip pancakes, eggs and bacon." She smiles and invites him in. (Axe's Mom above)

"Thanks Ma." He says with his head down as he follows her down the hall to the kitchen. As they walk Maq stops as they pass a picture of Axe, Walez, Jabb, Reyke and himself all laughing and covered in mud, while Gabrielle, Walez' mom, chases them with the water hose.

"I remember that day. You guys went to the park clean and came back a mess." She laughs. "You guys were not coming into my house with all that dirt."

He smiles at the happy memory. "Yea, mud fight. Axe started it."

"Don't I know it? I swear as a child she was a dirt magnet.  Grass stains, sand, mud, paint, I swear one time she came home with wood shavings in her hair, and clay and coal everywhere else." She visibly cringes.

He laughs. "Yea...we went to the abandoned factory by the train tracks. My idea...sorry." He says sheepishly.

She shakes her head with a smile. "Come on."

Maq takes a seat at the breakfast bar while Axe's mom, Lynda makes his plate.  "What's the verdict Nibbles?" She hands him a plate and sits in front of him.

He just looks down at his happy pancakes and smiles. "You still call me that Ma? I thought I out grew it when I hit puberty."

"I know, but every time I see you, I still see the cute little boy that chased my Cupcake around with Nibbles the worm." She smiles warmly at him.

He laughs. "You remember that?"

She nods.  "I'm a mother." She shrugs with a smile. "So...?" 

He takes a forkful of pancakes. "My uncle  reviewed everything. Looked into Frank and the judges's records and found somethings that work in our favor. My uncle called in a favor and had one of the judges take a look at the case, the trial minutes, statements, pictures. Judge said there was no way that with that amount of evidence, the pictures, the eye witnesses from when Frank attacked him near Jabb's, Reyke's testimonial, and Reyke is still a minor, that Frank should have been found not guilty. I don't know exactly what they're doing, but my uncle said not to worry about it. Frank should be in prison soon after we graduate, and the judge will more or less be stripped of his title. There will also be an internal investigation in this county. When that is, I don't know, but everything looks good."

"Well, that's good news." She smiles at him with sad eyes. 

He frowns. "What's wrong Ma?"

He reaches over and pats his hand. "You should talk to Cupcake." 

He looks at her . "Why, What happened while I was gone?"

"Go talk to her. She's in her room. I'm going to head out to get groceries. Don't leave her until I get back." She pats his shoulder, walks out of the kitchen and out the front door.

He nods and finishes his plate. He washes and dries his dishes, then walks up to Axe's room. He opens her door and finds her laying on her bed facing the window. He quietly closes the door behind him. He takes his shoes off and lays behind her wrapping his arm around her, pulling her closer to his chest.  He feels her tense and frowns.

He kisses her check. "Hey...it's me..."

She turns to look at him. "...hey..."

He silently looks into her eyes. She looks up at him wanting to tell him, but she's been so deep in her thoughts, she doesn't know how. Her eyes water and it breaks his heart.