Chapter 39

I wrapped a strand of hair around the curling iron and took in a deep breath. It's going to be fine. It's just Elton fucking John, you're going to be fine. Worst case scenario: you completely embarrass yourself in front of him and make a total fool out of yourself.

Yeah I'm going to fuck up.

I let my hair fall off the curling iron and smoothed out the curl a little. The day had finally come, the day when Freddie would take us backstage to an Elton John concert and just like John and I had assumed, things were about to get really awkward. Freddie and Mary had managed to stay in surprisingly good, but rather awkward terms. They could spend time together, but they would give each other overly polite smiles all the time, making both themselves and everyone else feel extremely uncomfortable. But I suppose it was better than nothing.

"How are you feeling dear?" John appeared behind me and I gave his reflection on the mirror a smile.

"I'm great, awsome, marvellous, spectacular, magnificent!" I said and laughed nervously. He gave me a soft chuckle and kissed my cheek.

"Don't be nervous love, it's going to be just fine. Elton is a lovely man, very hospitable and kind. You have nothing to worry about." He said and sat down on the bench behind me, still loking at my reflection in the mirror.

"What if I embarrass myself?" I asked him.

"How would you embarrass yourself?"

"I don't know... what if I stutter or fall down and break my neck or something? That would be humiliating." I sighed and wrapped another strand of hair around the curling iron.

John chuckled a little bit and gave be a soft smile. "No one cares if you stutter. And I have never seen you even stumble, so I highly doubt that you will fall down and break your neck." He said and I gave him a smile.

"I suppose you're right." I told him and took a deep breath. Perhaps I was going to be just fine. "You're not going to leave me alone are you?" I then added.

"Of course not, where would I go?" He asked, giving me a confused furrowing of the brows.

"I don't know... since Brian and Roger are coming as well, I figured you might just go with them or something... Just don't leave me alone, I get awkward when I'm alone." I said and gave him a weak smile.

He got up from his bench and put my curling iron on the table before wrapping his arms around me from behind. He nuzzled his face into my neck, leaving a trail of kisses along it.

"I would never leave you alone. Ever." He whsipered softly and held me tightly against his chest. A wide smile spread onto my face and I held onto his arm while he kept planting small kisses on my neck.

"Is that a promise?" I asked.

"Of course it's a promise." He chuckled and picked up the curling iron. "But now you must keep curling your hair if we want to be there on time." He said and handed it to me.

I groaned and took the iron from his hand, wrapping yet another strand around it. "So are you saying that if I don't finish curling my hair we'll be late and miss our chance of meeting Elton?" So if I act like a child, will I get to stay home and not humiliate myself?

"No, I'm saying that if you don't finish curling your hair I will have to carry you into the car with unfinished curls." He said before planting a small kiss on the top of my head and heading for the door.

"Fine." I groaned and I could hear him chuckling as he decended the stairs.

"Loretta." John said in a stern voice as he looked at me through the window of the car. I couldn't meet his gaze so I looked the other way.