Trust Is Hard

Dria's POV

My mom and I had just left the hospital. They'd told her that she was suffering with a cancerous brain tumor. I felt the tears stream down my face as I got into the car, but of course my mom was cheerful as always. Never wanting to show me her pain.

"Everything's gonna be okay Alexandria, okay? I'm going to be fine. I just gotta stay in the hospital for a few days and then I'll come home and make you your favorite chocolate cake."

I looked at her in disbelief, "What do you mean, mom? Please don't do that okay. Don't pretend that your going to be healthy and all better tomorrow ma. You have cancer," I started to cry, "And I don't want to lose you."

She held me in her arms, "Sweetie, you can't live life in a bad point of view. You have to look at the good side of things okay? No matter what the situation may be. Promise me you'll do that for me."

I nodded my head.

There she was. On the hospital bed, her skin pale and dry, her hair darker and less lively than it usually is but her smile never changed. The doctor had told me she had no chance of surviving, they'd gotten out 25% of the tumor, but the rest could not be removed. She was going to die. The only family I had left was going to disappear from me forever. She turned to me and smiled, motioning me closer to her.

"Honey," her voice dry with pain, "Don't give up on your dream. Be that stylist you always wanted to be for me. Work hard everyday, don't stop," I nodded trying not to cry, "Make me proud. Remember what I told you. Don't let anything get you mad or upset. I love you!"

I saw her body drain out, she wasn't smiling anymore.

"I love you too Mom. But you're going to walk out of here soon, alright? And you're going to see me graduate college, your gonna be so proud of me. Mom did you hear me?" The sound of the flat line kept ringing in my head. Over and over.

"Dria! Dria! Wake up! It's okay. I'm here." A familiar voice called to me. It was soothing. I opened my eyes to see a very worried Harry.

"Are you okay? You were crying in your sleep."

I quickly got out of bed and grabbed my shoes, "I'll be fine Harry, sorry to worry you. I should really get back to the flat. Kat's probab-"

"I called her. She fine with you being here."

"Well I've got to buy your fits for the-"

"That's 2 weeks away." He wanted me to stay, I could hear it in his voice, but I was just thinking about my mom too much.

I tried to hold back my tears, "Harry, I... I just really," I wanted to be alone, that's what my head was telling me, but then my heart kept saying that wasn't a good idea, "I really just need you to hold me."

The tears streamed down my cheeks. Harry rushed over to me. His arms embracing me while he whispered, "It's be okay." Into my ear. I usually hate the days my mom popped into my head, but having someone there with me made it better.

"Why are you crying love?"

"I just, um, can we not about this now?"

He nodded, "Whenever you want to, I'm here."

His soft lips pressed against my forehead.

******

"I'm going to go to the grocery. I'll be back in a couple minutes."

"Maybe I should go back home. You need to get prepared for the Teen Awards."

"No. I want you here with me. I know you're worried about Kat, but she's fine," he kissed my cheek; "I won't be gone for too long. Bye!"