5- Cheers to a shitty day

The next morning I was tending to Liam and his hungover self when dad finally came back. He kept apologizing for coming in the morning and not in the night but honestly, I was happy he hadn't come in the night because if he had I would have had to explain why there was a drunk Liam on the couch and an Evan in the doorway. Now that I think about it, why was I even up that late? It was around 1 am when Liam had called and I was almost never up that late.

Nyra you know that's wrong.

I ignored my inner voice. Maybe I was just too engrossed with the music or my homework. Either way, I'm just glad that everything turned out alright in the end.

"Hello? Earth to kiddo?" A hand waved in front of me.

"Yeah, dad?" I replied and stuffed my mouth with food. Currently, the three of us were sitting around the table just enjoying some Sunday Brunch.

"Good now that I finally got your attention, I need to tell you guys something." He said, looking over to Liam and me. Me and Liam both looked up and focused our attention on dad.

"The office called in just before we sat for brunch and they want me to go to France for a business trip." He started off slowly.

"Hah, like that's new." Liam scoffed. "You always go on business trips. Why are you making it like it's a family matter?"

"Liam shush!" I try to get him to stop talking. For some reason, I could tell that this was going to be alot different than the other times.

"Children!" My dad exclaims. "Please wait for me to finish!" He takes a deep breath.

"Liam. Nyra. I will be going for a month and a half." My spoon drops. Liam reacts worse than I did. He gets up and starts yelling at dad. "Are you fucking kidding me dad?!".

"Language young man!" Dad exclaims, raising his voice.

"Will anything ever be fucking normal in this house?!" He exclaims before getting up and running to his room. Dad turns to me, watching me, seeing how I would react.

"Why?"I question him.

"Nyra, I ha-" He begins but I interrupt him.

"You have to huh? What about all those other travels? Why can't you just stay home for once? You just got back from China! You know mom's situation!" I yell in exasperation. I start to run my hand through my hair. "One week we can go alone dad, but how are we going to manage one and a half months?"

"I will be sending you money so you don't have to worry about money and you both are old enough to stay long periods of time alone."

"But dad, I just want to know why?" I ask him, my voice wavering just slightly.

Dad comes closer to me and lowers his voice.

"Listen Nyra, I'm going to France not only for the company, but to make our lives better. I'm taking your mother with me."

My jaw drops. Wow, I didn't see that coming.

"I found out where she has been spending all her time and I'm taking her with me because I want your mother back." He looks away with sadness in his eyes and his voice was barely audible when he said the next thing. "I want my Elise back." He turned back to me and I could see his raw emotion. It was so strong that I began to feel it too.

"I want her back too dad" I whisper. "Do what you have to do but bring mom back. Please." My voice cracks at the end. We both sit there in silence for some time.

"Alright Kiddo, I have to go and pack but I will be leaving tomorrow." He leaves to his room but not before ruffling my hair, telling me that it was going to be ok. It was all going to be ok.