Chapter 1

"Do you have to go?" I asked.

Eli smiled at me from across the table, reaching over to hold my hand. There was a sadness on his face and I sighed. He didn't have to go, I knew that. Eli is in a band that was finally taking off, it was his dream. There was no way I was going to come in between him and his dream. He didn't come in between me and my dreams of becoming an artist, not even when we really didn't have much money and we were living in a tiny apartment where the paint fumes would be horrid, and he even had to pick up a second job on top of his first job and his band.

"I know, I'm sorry," I said.

"Don't apologize, it's going to be okay and I'll miss you too," he said. "It's only going to be for a few weeks and then I'm going to be back with you before you know it."

I smiled solemnly, squeezing his hand. I glanced over at his dyed jet-black hair, which he swiftly ran his fingers through. His skin was decorated with tattoos, each more beautiful than the last. Dark brown eyes crinkled as he smiled. My favorite was where it said 'Love Days' across his knuckles. I could remember when he got it, he was practically in tears. But I was there to rub his shoulders and tell him it was going to be okay, now it's his turn to leave.

"When I get back we'll do whatever you want," he promised.

"I want to go to that one cool art museum in Pennsylvania," I said, causing Eli's face to break out in a smile.

"Alright then, that's what we'll do. We'll drive up there and get some lunch and then go. And maybe we can go to a nice dinner afterwards, too. Trust me, you won't even know I was gone."

"I'm going to miss you," I said.

"I'll miss you too, but you'll be okay," Eli said. "I will call you every single day to talk to you, Emma."

I smiled and nodded. The waiter came over with a cheery smile on his face.

"Are you two having dessert tonight?" He asked.

"No, I think I just want to head home," I said.

He got us the check and we paid for it before leaving. The restaurant was close to our house, so we decided to save gas by walking.

"Come on, let's go through the pretty trail," Eli said.

I reached over to hold his hand, giving it a gentle squeeze as we walked through a trail in the woods to get home. It was quiet as the night settled around us, there was only the sounds of crickets chirping in the distance and nocturnal animals out trying to find some food. The moon illuminated the path for us and it was thankfully rather warm. A little bunny hopped out and I cooed softly but it quickly ran in fright.

"I love bunnies," I said. "We should get a pet bunny."

"We can't get a pet," he said.

"But they'll keep me company while you're away, it'll be perfect," I stated.

"Emma, we can't," Eli said. "Maybe some other time but not now, we just don't have the money and pets are expensive."

"Fine," I said. "I guess that's fine. But I also want a puppy."

Eli chuckled, looking over at me. He stopped in front of a pond and smiled, leaning down to pick something from the ground.

"Look at this!" He exclaimed. "I found a four-leaf clover. Here, take it. It'll be good luck for you while I'm away. Especially for the art show."

The only reason I wasn't going with Eli on tour was because I had an art show soon, it was my first big show and I couldn't skip it, even if I did want to go to with Eli.