#14 THE SUPER LASER

Xurell had us thrown into the cages with the Rodins where we would wait to be cybernetically enhanced and become another one of his puppets. As for Asha, she and Xu Hun were taken to the command centre. Xurell wanted the Empress to witness the destruction of her Empire.

While waiting for surgery, I was trying to figure out a plan of escape, but I honestly had no idea how to get us out of this predicament. Xurell had us all bounded to hoverchairs, so we could not move. Whatever we were going to do we had to do it fast. It was only a matter of time before Xurell's men came back to turn us into another one of his puppets. There was no telling what he might do next afterwards.

My friends and I almost gave up hope when Sparky appeared from nowhere, got into my cage and jump onto my lap. He once again somehow followed us here.

His timing could not have been perfect. He understood the predicament we were in and started gnawing through the ropes around my wrists.

He got one of my hands free, and I was able to free myself and the others. However, we were still trapped inside our cages.

Soon, the Rodin cyborgs came back, accompanied by surgeons. We hurried back into our hoverchairs and pretended to be still restrained as they entered our cages.

The men took Tom first, and as they pushed out his hoverchair, turning their backs, I jumped them. We tackled with the Rodin cyborgs for a bit before overpowering them and throwing them into the cages.

Then we moved into to freeing the other Rodins from their cages. I ordered Tom and Max to get the Rodins back to the Enterprise. Meanwhile, I was going to rescue Asha and Xu Hun, and somehow destroy the weapon.

Disguised as a technician and followed by Sparky, I snuck into the command tower where stood in the middle the Vitronium reactor. It was bigger than we imagined and probably highly unstable if not handled right. There was round the clock attention. Technicians were doing checks, monitoring readings, and making records.

I spotted Xurell at the main control station. Behind him and under guard were Asha and Xu Hun.

Passing off as one of the technicians, we got a bit closer. We could see everyone was preparing the weapon for firing, which would not be long.

I noticed a technician operating the reactor. He was releasing power, which gave me an idea. If I could get close to the controls, I could cause the reactor to overload.

One by one, technicians gave their reports to Xurell, who called them out. When he asked for fuel element reports, she received no reply. Little did I know that was meant to be my post, or should I say the post of the technician I was impersonating.

When Xurell saw me standing behind him, no idea who I was, ordered me to hurry over to the reactor. This made my plan a lot easier.

Xurell ordered the technician operating the reactor to close it. It was now time to set up target, Batoria. All the while, I stood beside the reactor controls, waiting to make my move.

Before giving the word, Xurell took this moment to give a speech. I watched in growing terror as he spoke with power in his eyes.

"After years of preparation and setbacks our time for liberation has finally come.

For centuries, the Empire has looked down upon our kind. They have robbed us of our lives, deprived us of freedom, and inflicted suffering upon us through slavery and poverty. However, our years of suffering has given us strength because today we are gathered to witness the extinction of the Batoreans at the hands of this fierce weapon upon which we stand!

Once the Batoreans have fallen the Rodins shall rise in the form of new empire. One that I intend to lead as Emperor Xurell of the Rodin Empire!"

Xurell was no doubt a madman. Asha wanted to get up and beat him only to be held back by his men.