#16 HEROES OF THE EMPIRE

For the next couple of days, Stevie was in quarantine under Ali's care. she remained unconscious throughout her decontamination, even when she was cleared and removed from quarantine. All the medics could do was wait for her to wake up. I stayed by her side the whole time. I barely ate or slept.

We returned to Batoria and spent the next several days in drydock. Asha had sorted things out with the Empire and called in members of the Galactic Federation to supervise repairs on the Enterprise.

After two days of anxious waiting, Stevie finally opened her eyes to see Ali looking at her.

"She's awake!" she called to everyone. I had nodded off but woke up the moment I heard. My friends were all there, delighted to see Stevie awake. She had us all worried over the past two days.

Stevie had little memory of what happened, and we explained. All of Xurell's assets had been confiscated, and we were all cleared of charges.

As the joyful gathering went on, Stevie and I turned to one another. I told her that when I saw her dying, I thought I was going to lose her. I had never been so scared in my life, and then brought up what I said before about us being more than just cadets. I finally saw that maybe I was not just destined to be a Starfleet officer. I found it muddling to explain clearly, only for her to gently silence me.

"Stop talking." she said quietly, and then shared a gentle kiss with me.

The others were in shock when they saw this. Now they knew about our relationship, which was no longer a secret. The only one who made a comment was Max.

"It's about time." and we all laughed.

As soon as Stevie was fit enough, we attended a hero ceremony at the Imperial Palace in our honour.

Crowds of people were gathered in the courtyard to cheer for the heroes of Batoria. Alongside were members of the Galactic Federation who had also came to celebrate our heroics.

My friends and I stood side by side outside the palace. We smiled and waved to the crowd.

Tom was glad we were no longer wanted, but I could not say the same thing for myself. I still had Stevie who wanted me.

At last Asha appeared before us. We bowed before her, and Asha bowed back. Then she presented each of us with special medals in gratitude for saving the Empire.

"What you have done for my people has earned you the respect and friendship of the Empire. The first I hope of many to come.

And as my official act as Empress, I hereby declare peace between the Batorean Empire and the Galactic Federation."

Members of the Federation were surprised to hear this and accepted. Asha hoped this would give her people a fresh start, to which we strongly agreed.