7) You thought you could go free

Look me in my eyes
Tell me everything's not fine
Or the people ain't happy
And the river has run dry
You thought you could go free
But the system is done for
If you listen here closely
There's a knock at your front door

blood // water - grandson

Lucy snarled at the empty backpack. She was out of blood. She threw the empty bag across the room, and jumped out the window.

She was hungry. So hungry. Her gums ached even though her fangs were already out. Her eyes glowed gold and she searched the darkness of night. 

She didn't know where she was running, but she knew she was in the woods. She smelled blood, faintly, and whiskey, strongly. She heard two sets of footsteps as she drew nearer.

"How 'bout we just go." She heard one voice say.

"How 'bout you just shut up!" The other voice snapped. She was close enough to make out their features. It was two men, which she already knew from their voices. Both were tall, several inches taller than her, and the air reeked of pot, a smell Lucy was too familiar with.

"Come on, man. I'm freezing out here." The shorter complained, looking terrified. Lucy grinned, although she knew she wasn't the reason for his panic. She would be soon. She sped from where she stood less than a few feet away in the shadows, and dragged the taller man into the darkness.

She quickly hit his head against a tree before he could scream. She could hear his friend panicking less than ten feet away.

She sunk her fangs into the unconscious man's neck. The smell of pot filled her nostrils, but she was too hungry to care, and too supernatural to get high. 

She heard the other man scream, and knew that alpha was near. She'd had her fill, and let the body fall to the forest floor before she raced away. She didn't feel like confronting the alpha now. The memories he resurfaced were still in the front of her mind.

She rolled her eyes as she entered the apartment to hear the ringtone from her phone. She picked it up and saw that it was Caroline. Again.

She was tempted to throw it at the wall, but answered the call anyway.

"What do you want!?" She snarled into the phone.

"Lucy?" It sounded like Caroline had been crying.

"Who else would it be?" Lucy growled.

"Where are you? What happened? Why did you go?"

"I'm far away. Somewhere you could never hope to find me."

"Why did you go? Please come back."

"You were the only thing keeping me from switching them off, Caroline. I'm not coming back. Not ever. You mean nothing to me, and you never ever did. So leave me alone. I don't need you, and I never did."

"What? You switched off your emotions?" Caroline sounded incredulous.

"Leave me alone, Caroline." Lucy snarled, before throwing the phone at the wall so hard that it stuck. It smashed to the floor in pieces when she punched it. She stomped on the remains, only to scream suddenly as a bone snapped.

She growled at the pain as another bone shattered and reformed.

Lucy ended up spending almost the entirety of the next day as a wolf before she finally managed to shift back.

She spent Sunday night finishing her homework, and got ready for school on Monday.

She ran to school and then stopped a few block away and walked the rest of the way to avoid suspicion. Her first class was English, which was perpetually boring since the old teacher's voice just droned on and on.