Chapter 5 - Who Is To Trust?

Placing my fingers gently on the piano keys, I closed my eyes, then deeply inhaled and exhaled. Gently starting to hum a tune, I tried playing the melody that was in my head. After a while, I realized how depressing it sounded.
"..." I sighed, slamming my hand against the piano keys, making a terrible noise. I laid back on the chair, looking out the window and staring at the starry night sky.
I've never felt so alone before.
After all that happened, I've started avoiding everyone with all I could do. I couldn't trust anyone. I even started to try and work on my songs in the middle of the night, just to avoid meeting with anyone from the agency. Especially those three.
I couldn't even imagine any of them doing that to me. But, on the other hand, what the detective said was perfectly clear. It was somebody from the agency. And only those three knew the full story.
"... I have a feeling that this already happened before."
I jumped, looking at the doorway. There stood a certain cyanette, tilting his head at me. "Don't you?"
"... I... I don't wanna talk." I muttered silently, turning my head away.
For a while, I didn't hear anything. Then, Ai walked over to the piano and sat down beside me.
"Alright." he hummed quietly. Then suddenly, a gentle melody filled the room.
Looking up, I realized that Ai started playing. I didn't recognize the song, but it was amazing. Before I knew it, I found myself staring at his thin, pale fingers dance on the keyboard, enjoying the performance.
"... [F/N]."
".... W-What...?" I slowly looked up at him. I was surprised to see him with the saddest expression I've ever seen. I even saw tears in his eyes.
"... Why... don't you love me anymore?"
"........."
That question totally threw me for a loop. I was gaping, not knowing what to say. I didn't expect Ai to ask me something like that. Meanwhile, he looked down in front of himself.
"Am I not suitable for a partner after all...? If I hold you back down, then..."
"N-No, Ai! It's... It's not that..." I muttered. "... I-... I just..."
"... You don't think I was the one who exposed you, do you?"
"..." 
Again, I couldn't say anything. I could only stare in front of myself, completely ashamed.
"... So it was something like that after all." he sighed.
"... Ai, I..."
"Baka..." he muttered, suddenly hugging me to his chest. I tensed up, grabbing onto his shirt reflexively. "... Why would I do that to you? What would be my benefit from that? Seeing you suffer? Do you think I'm that kind of person?"
"..."
"[F/N]... I know I'm not the best at expressing my emotions, but I love you..." he lowered his voice in a whisper. I slowly untensed. I don't remember the last time he told me that. "... And I don't want anything bad to ever happen to you. I promised to protect you and to never let you go... Remember?"
"..." I slowly nodded into his chest.
"Then... why don't you trust me?" he breathed out sadly. I clung onto him, refusing to look up. I may have hurt him when I wanted to avoid getting hurt. Of course... How could I ever think that he would do that to me? He was probably the one who was the most panicked after me. I remember him screaming at the screen to shut up. To think that he was so emotionless at the start...
"... I'm sorry, Ai..." I mumbled. "... I... I don't know what's got into me. I trust you... I trust you more than anyone else and you know that. It's just..."
"I know. In these kinds of situations, you lose your trust in everybody. It's something I've been through."
I remembered the time when Ai's identity got revealed in front of the QUARTET. That time, they got into a pretty bad argument and that was the time when I almost convinced Ai to come to our agency... Then he found out about what I was doing. He was pretty out of it at that time. Frowning, I slowly nodded.
"Can you forgive me...?" I mumbled.
"Forgive what? For having common sense or being a human?" he sighed, ruffling my hair. "Baka, I wasn't even mad at you."
"..." I pouted a bit. "Stop calling me stupid."
"You are stupid if you ever start doubting me." 
"Ai-Ai, that's mean!" I whined, poking his cheek.
"You are such a child..." he shook his head with a sigh, then kissed my cheek. "Goodnight."
"... E-Eh?" I watched him go to the door. "Where are you going?"
"....... To sleep. Where you should be going. It's quite late." he muttered, before leaving.
"..."
The doubt in my chest suddenly appeared again.
I really need to stop overthinking things.