21: The Butterfly Effect

Someone once said, "Nothing Lasts Forever

Someone once said, "Nothing Lasts Forever." They were completely right.

Taron should have known that their few days in Drisella's paradise wouldn't last long, he should have known that his full grasp on the whole matter was only the beginning of the end he dreaded thinking about.

He managed to get the media to finally shut the gossips down, arrange a proper burial for Maria, and convince Mallory that Jenny had been too busy to even call her since she had been nagging non-stop about her sudden absence.

Speaking of which, Taron learned that both she and Mark had confessed to assisting the Russians in their criminal scheme. Mark admitted that he was a majorart in both the obsessed fan and the burned car accidents, claiming that 'they were just a way to put some fear in her and let her see what are these people capable of.'

As for Jenny, he wasn't surprised to know that she was behind the nightclub incident. Having a wild, dangerous imagination, she thought that forcing Mallory to be in such a critical situation would open her eyes and let her see her 'position in this world' which was nothing but 'a puppet in the bigger people's hands,' according to her.

The fact was, she was just jealous of her friend.

But what shocked Taron to the core was her confession that she had the upper hand in Barney's death. Jenny admitted that she laced his drink with some kind of substance that would make it look like he was having a heart attack, another threat to him after he started to deviate from their original plan. but with Barney's heart being already weak due to illness, that substance turned into a poison that finally ended his life and fooled everyone in thinking that the man died because of his heart condition.

On a happier note, both of the new lovers had spilled many secrets about Takarov and his secret gang, pushing the investigation many steps forward and helping to put some of his minions behind bars.

Smith had told Taron not to worry about any of that, everything was under control. He just needed to focus on keeping Mallory alive and safe. He knew that, with all the new developments, these bastards wouldn't stand aside and let them win. Something was being plotted in the shadows and it wouldn't be long before they strike again.

He didn't think it would be that close.

Taron didn't pay much attention to the old car that sharply swerved past him as he went inside the building, thinking they were just a bunch of kids messing around the street, he used to see that a lot in that neighborhood.

What he didn't think of that these presumed 'kids' could be a couple of Takarov's lackeys who, by some means, knew about Mallory's hiding place.

He didn't realize that he was only a minute too late until his phone buzzed.

The 'Unknown Number' wasn't unfamiliar to Taron as he checked his phone screen, answering the phone, the words he heard from the other end got him momentarily froze in the spot.