Plus One

(A/N: I had a dream like this the other night and knew I had to write about it lmao)

☾ ☾ ☾ ☾ ☾ ☾ ☾ ☾ ☾ ☾ ☾ ☾ ☾ ☾ ☾ ☾ ☾ ☾ ☾ ☾ ☾ ☾ ☾ ☾ ☾ ☾ ☾ ☾ ☾ ☾ ☾ ☾ ☾ ☾ ☾ ☾ 

I honk at the person in front of me, who decided to stare at their phone instead of paying attention to the light so they could go when it turned green. They finally start to drive forward and I sigh in relief. 

"Please freaking go faster," I mutter to no one as I quickly change lanes. 

My phone begins to ring and I groan when my best friend's name pops up on my car's console screen. I take a deep breath, then answer her call.

"I'm on my way, I swear," I say immediately, "I got stuck at work even though I told them I had to leave and traffic sucks, but I'll be there soon, I promise."

"The wedding starts in less than three hours, (y/n)," Michaela almost shouts. "I already knew you'd be late so I put you last on the list for hair and make-up, but it's almost your turn now. When are you going to get here?"

"My GPS says in half an hour, I'll try to make it twenty-five minutes," I reply, my heart sinking lower and lower. 

"Get here in twenty or we might have to do the pictures without you."

"But...I'm the maid of honor..."

"Yeah, well, you should've asked for the day off like everyone else did."

She ends the call before I can say another word and I'm taken aback by her attitude. Michaela has been my best friend for about fifteen years and she used to be the sweetest person I ever knew. Then she started dating some rich guy with an even richer family and has completely changed in the past two years into a snobby, stuck up girl that I no longer recognize. 

I wasn't surprised when she asked me to be her maid of honor because we've been best friends for so long and we have promises to fulfill. But the Michaela I knew when I made those promises is nothing like the Michaela I know now.

I push open the door to the bridal suite thirty-three minutes after Michaela ended the call and all eyes go to me.

"Finally," Michaela says just loud enough for me to hear. "Let's get started on your hair and make-up then do pictures."

I nod, pressing my lips together, and follow her into the next room where two women are waiting for me. 

All the bridesmaids have the same hairstyle, an elegant twisted updo with a few sprigs of oxeye daisies tucked in. I can't help but think that it looks beautiful on all the other girls except me. 

For my make-up, as well as the others, it's very natural. A nice light pink blush and neutral to dark gray eyeshadow to go with a medium pink lipstick. It's pretty, but doesn't stand out or distract from the bride's romantic look. 

By the time I'm dressed with my hair and face done, it's an hour and a half until the wedding starts and we're all ushered outside for pictures. Michaela made it clear she was very gracious for waiting until the last minute to wait for me to do the pictures. Which, I honestly didn't understand because we finished with twenty minutes to spare for us all to go back inside, wipe off the sweat, and touch up any smudged eyeliner. We would've had more time if Michaela hadn't insisted on going to so many different locations on the grounds of the golf club.

When we get back to the bridal suite, I check my phone and find that I have a couple text messages from someone I love hearing from.