Chapter 1: Outsider

Levi's POV

"Haven't you heard? A girl from that high, prestigious school is coming here!" A few girls began to chatter when I walked through the halls. I was no longer the main topic in their idle chatter- just this... new girl. "She's supposedly so smart and stuff like that! I think she's popular too."

"I wouldn't say that... I knew a girl from that same school, and they never heard of a Hanji Zoe." My feet slowly stopped moving at a quick pace, slowing down so my ears could overhear the girls' conversations.

"So... she's not popular... what a bummer."

"I know, right? She's just a nerdy girl."

"Just because someone's not popular doesn't mean you cast them aside." I murmured under my breath, continuing to walk around the shallow halls. School hasn't started yet. I have nothing to do, but mostly skip on classes. What could they do to me? Punish me?

*   *   *

It wasn't much, but I opened a small pack of cookies. I never had the time to make myself a good lunch, except a good brew of black tea. As I ate the small cookies, I sipped my black tea- still warm in its thermos. The wind gently blew through the empty courtyard- the smallest one that was hidden from overgrown vines. Only outcasts found it, and I claimed it as my own.

But, I heard that rustling of the vines and the creaking of the rusty gate. I growled at the thought of someone invading my area. I was ready to shout and scream at them to leave me be- but I didn't.

She was dressed prestigious and I knew instantly it was this Hanji Zoe. A pale yellow blouse carefully tucked into her black skirt. Her hair, even though it was messy, was tied up in a ponytail. Light brown glasses fell in front of her hazel eyes, slightly falling off when she looked down to close the rusty gate.

Hanging from her arm was a plastic bag- a hard container laid at the bottom of it. From the gentle wind, I could hear a small whisper of her cries of pain. I tilted my head, seeing why she had came here- well, of course I knew why. Everyone was treating her as an outsider.

I don't know why, but I decided to have a say. I put my things down on the side and slowly started to walk towards her. This girl remained by the gate, and only jumped when my footsteps were heard.

"Are you going to mock me as well?" She speaks up, glaring me deadly with those eyes.

"Excuse me-"

"No... you wouldn't. You're alone here. You're just like me, aren't I?"

I sighed, rubbing my neck. "Well, if you're lumping me in with people that don't fit in, then yeah. But if you're calling me as a... geeky person, that's a no." She nods gingerly, and I sighed. "Levi Ackerman. I'm guessing you're Hanji Zoe?"

Once more, she nods. "Word travels fast; I estimate that I'll be the talk of everything now. Would you mind if I joined you here? I don't want to bother you, just-"

"It's fine if you come here. Bring any other people without telling me, then I'll get mad. But if it's just you, it's fine." Gesturing her towards me, I went back to my seat. "Come and go however you want. As I said, no one else."

She nods gently, sitting across from me. She opened her container and pulling out a ham & cheese sandwich. I could hear my stomach grumbling a bit from seeing her food. "So... you're Levi Ackerman... who are you really?"

"What do you mean by that?"

"Like... you're a loner out here... what's your story?"

I grumbled gently, looking away. "I... I rather not talk about it. Just not normal compared to the others. Get it?"

Hanji nods gently, eating her sandwich. "Quiet one, huh? Interesting."

"Interesting?"

"Uh huh. You don't see much guys, especially you, all isolated."

With that being said, I nearly coughed my black tea out. Daggers scraped down as I was suffering from almost chocking. "Guys like me?"

"Well..." Her eyes shifted around, not looking at me directly. "If I'm gonna be honest, I'll say it out loud. Physically, you look... cute. Your cold expression tells me you have something to hide, but inside... you're probably nice and just... concerned."

Was it because of the sun that I felt so warm...? It was like I was burning up. Bah, no matter... "That's probably not true. I'm not nice... I'm just-"

"Cold?"

"Be quiet..." 

We stayed there for a few moments, having an awkward silence from time to time. But Hanji always tries to strike up a conversation with me, and was seemingly successful. Of course, it didn't last long because I didn't like to speak to others so quickly and so out-joyed. The bell rang for lunch to end, and we both parted ways. I saw her in the halls- just for a quick second. But I left the idea of talking to her. She would just be condemned to more embarrassment. I wouldn't let her be harassed by embarrassment. I knew that pain, and I wouldn't let her go through that same experience as me-

"...just... concerned."

I shook my head, realizing what she finally meant by it. She never knew me for years- and I failed to notice that about myself. Who was that young woman...?