Reunion

"Sam?"

The chains that bound Saidy to the wall quieted. Bits of rotted wood sprinkled down onto her feet. The nails that held the board to the wall had chipped away some of the wood as they'd begun to budge. Saidy craned her neck over her shoulder. She caught the stalky visage of the dwarf in the corner of her eye.

"Aye, lass." A solemn tone permeated his speech. "Captain, thank you for coming to get me. My gaggle and I are eternally grateful. I just wish it were under better circumstances."

"No thanks needed, master dwarf. My men and I are very pleased that your gaggle makes the journey tirelessly to supply us with wine and weapons."

Weapons? Saidy hadn't remembered seeing weapons anywhere in the cart, or anything that might have held them.

"The north continues to grow more perilous. More monsters have attacked our northern farms than we've ever seen."

"Aye, we've seen the drakes in the Garden becoming more restless as well. Even the earth beneath our feet seems to turn."

"Really? I didn't know dwarves could sense that."

What are they talking about?

"Aye, its why we're able to dig so well, Captain." Sam stroked his beard a bit. "Anyways, enough pleasantries, eh? How much is her sentence?"

"Well, Bertowitz claims he offered to sell her the wolf for four-hundred drakes. The girl claims she paid him forty after the wolf attacked her and she became its master, so I reckon another three eighty will clear her?"

"He said three-hundred, not four!" Saidy spat.

One of the guards rapped his fist on the bars, causing Saidy to recoil. Talik had tormented her for fun the same way.

"Five hundred for her being a fucking cunt."

Sam shoved Bertowitz into the iron bars: "The lass said three hundred. Now you can take that and drop the charge, or I'll cut your throat right here!"

"B-b-but then—"

"But then what? I don't care if I rot in a cell. Do ya care if ya die?"

Bertowitz gulped. Sam could see the fear in his eyes, and despite his own fear of spending his life in a cell, he resolved to show only determination.

"Fine..." Bertowitz spat out.

Sam released him and handed him a pouch of coins. "Let her out, Captain, and give her things back."

"You heard him boys. Let her out."

Saidy heard the iron door groan. Two guards came to her sides and unbound her shackles. She rubbed at her raw wrists before taking her things from a third. Sam leaned against the bars just outside her cell. The midmorning sun glared through the barred window just beyond him, and he stared out into the now bustling town. Saidy wondered why he wouldn't look at her. She wanted him too. She wanted to see him. She felt a stabbing pain begin to form in her chest as she donned her armor once more.

"Sam..."

"Why'd ya leave, Saidy?"

The pain grew in her chest: "I had too..."

"Wolfshit, Saidy!" Sam barked, "Ya left without saying anything! Just disappeared like we didn't matter—I didn't matter! I know ya feel somethin for me! Why won't you admit it?" Sam turned around. Saidy could see his eyes filling with tears. "Do we mean nothin to ya?"

"No, Sam." Saidy stared at her feet.

"Are we not family? I know yer only half dwarf, but yer still one of us!"