Chapter 12 - Beneath the Ocean

Everyone was talking about how pretty the ocean was. Even though there are houses built sturdily out of bricks, concrete, wood, and much more materials, the ocean was still crystal clean. This is the Afterlife though. Anything impossible can be possible.

"What do you think we'll be doing at the training centre? What do you think are the fundamental levels for Hero work? What do you think being a hero really means? Would you actually be a hero or a villain?" Ashley swarmed me with a variety of questions as Penelope and Celine ran after her, towards me.

"Ashley! Don't just run off on your own! You never know when a villain will jump out of nowhere and slash us to bits." Penelope said, worried.

"It'll be fine. We're in a huge group right now. It'd be stupid to fight us all at once. It's a better strategy to pick us off one by one." I muttered. "Exactly!" Ashley's eyes shined with glory.

"But that doesn't mean they can't purposely lure us away from the group and kill us once we're separated." I sighed. Penelope nodded, agreeing. "Come on! Nobody's going to fall for that trick." Ashley laughed. Some of us were admiring the Ocean, but some others were cautious of their surrounding, like a tiger might attack them any moment. Either side has a reasonable justice. We have to be wary, but the Ocean is magnificent.

"Ashley, you were still talking to us about your battle with Togami, that villain, remember? Let's go somewhere without Jennie. You promised us, remember?" Celine nudged Ashley in the arm lightly. Ashley smiled.

"I've got to go now, Jennie. I'll see you later? Oh yeah, don't get killed by villains! Best of luck!" Ashley concluded as Penelope and Celine chased after the girl. "It's highly unlikely for me to get killed though." I mumbled as I turned to the rest of the group. It sort of pains me to hear Celine wanting to talk with Ashley and Penelope without me around, like as if I was a nuisance that was always bothering her.

"Okay, that's all of us! We're heading to the training centre now! If you get lost, return to this spot or else certain circumstances may occur. Follow me!" Mr. Fait hollered. I blinked twice, and my brain clicked. I ran after the group of students who were following Mr. Fait.

Eventually, Ashley and the rest of us were trailing behind Mr. Fait.

Then something struck me. My legs went numb, no. They weren't numb. They just stopped. My hands began to shiver, with my fingers solely trying their best to clench into a fist. I gritted my teeth. I have a bad feeling about this. For some reason, a nerve stuck in my brain. It's never happened to me before, but it's really something else. Something noticeable. Something different...

Only one person noticed that I was being left behind.

"Jennie?" Alexander asked. He stopped walking and stayed behind, staring at me in confusion. "What's wrong?"

I shook my head, shrugging the nerve off. Maybe the sudden idea of having villains ambush us is damaging my concentration. That nerve is just fear. I don't need to feel fear at the moment. I just need to keep up with the others. "I'm good. Sorry. Let's catch up to the others." I said with a sincere smile. Alexander nodded and we ran off after the others.

We passed houses after houses with many citizens in sight. They were all either younger or older than us. None of the age group 10-18. The citizens all looked so very happy. I wanted to keep that image forever in my head. It can be used as something to calm me down. This sight reminds me of the times where Aaron would drag me to march around our neighborhood on the streets and greet every one of our neighbor. That was simply his effort of trying to get me to quit being antisocial.

But you can't do that unless you actually understand what an antisocial's person is frightened of. Afraid of.

"Look! It's the students from the academy!" I heard a women who was carrying a baby yell, pointing at us. I guess they could tell by looking at our uniforms, but it was uncomfortable being known by someone other than the students at the academy.