Beauty and its Beast

I breathed deep, not minding the small needles in my chest. "Okay, stop bugging me."

"Please, I just want to hear what she said, okay?"

I removed my seatbelt and faced her. Her eyes were full of hope and she was grinning, something that I'm annoyed to see now.

"What's a pretty college kid doing infront of the building." I said with a straight face then continued, "There, happy?" I scoffed and she grinned more.

"Definitely."

I opened the car door but before stepping out, I turned to her and bowed, "Nice meeting you, Lalisa."

I was about to go out when she held my arm. "Wait, you're leaving already?"

I glared at her arm which she removed immediately. She looked like she was burned by my gaze but whatever.

"I am. Do you still need my service?" I sarcastically asked.

She blushed and looked away. "If you put it like that Jennie, people might misunderstand."

I raised my brow and repeated what I said inside my head. I also averted my gaze from her and slouched on the car's seat while mentally cursing at myself.

Stupid sexuaal innuendo!

I glared at her even though my face was burning red from embarrassment. "What else do you want, then? You already took the half of my time when I should already be working." I sneered.

Shit. Why am I so emotional ever since I met this kid?

Where's the composed and rational Jennie Kim?

What the fuck happened to me in the span of two meetings?

She sighed and looked at her hands. Something she does when she's sad or I have been too cruel. "I'm sorry,"

My frustration grew bigger with her apology. "Will you stop saying sorry? Apologizing won't help you! Tell me, what more do you want?"

Her eyes met mine and they were the same hue as it was awhile ago. Dull and dark. "Nothing. You can go,"

I grunted in disbelief. If that's what she wants then fine!

"Goodbye."

She said thanks with her small voice small before I slammed her creaking car door.

I didn't wait for her to drive as I marched my way towards the company. People greeted me but I couldn't even muster a fake smile much less acknowledge their presence.

This won't be good once he hears about this. But whatever.

I reached my floor and to my disappointment, my plan of being alone and undisturbed were thrown away outside the window.

The unwelcomed guest stood up from my seat and crossed her arms mockingly, "My, my. What happened to your date?"

"Shut it, Jisoo and get out of my office." I plopped down on the office chair and glared at the stacks of paper infront of me.

She's so annoying. Everything about her is annoying.

Who the hell asks for someone's office address and drag you somewhere secluded. And what? Just to cry?

Then-

I shook my head to remove such thoughts. I can't... think of that. It doesn't affect me.

She doesn't affect me.

Her words doesn't mean anything to me.

Jisoo waved her hands infront of me to get my attention. When I looked at her, she was grinning.

"Did miss Lisa catch your eyes going far too south?" Her voice was mocking but my ears perked upon the way her name rolled off her tongue.

"You know her name?"

She sat down infront of my desk and shrugged, "Well, duh? She introduced herself to me. Isn't that customary?"

I ran my hand on my face and my eyes shut tight. "Fuck."

She held up her arm in defense, "Woah, honey. Who released the beast in you?"

My breath caught in my throat and Jisoo realized her mistake.

Too late.

"Jennie, I'm sorry."

I buried my head on my hands, "Get out."

"Jennie..." I flinched from her touch and I could imagine Jisoo's face etched with hurt and worry. But I was too caught up with my own pain and memories to care for what she feels right now.

"I said, go out!"

I heard her shuffling of feet and with a sigh, she said, "I'm sorry."

Then the doors closed.

I looked up and my vision was blurry from the unshed tears I have been holding on for years.

Jisoo's words played on my mind like a broken record that each time it repeats, my heart is impaled of past memories.

A beast.

"You're nothing but a beast, Jennie."

A different kind of voice rang inside my head, and this time it was enough to crush my heart.

Have I not changed?

I stare at my trembling hands and clenched them until I drew out blood. My nails were already digging too deep and making more mess but I paid it no mind.

"I have changed." I chanted inside my head. Convincing myself that this is a better version of my past self.

I leaned my body on the soft chair and closed my eyes. I wanted to sleep but the demons inside my head kept me awake.

"Have you really, Jennie? The worst version of yourself still remains," they whispered.

I shook my head at them, my resolve strong to not let them affect me. "It doesn't. It's gone. I have changed."

A woman's laugh echoed inside my head. A laugh I know all too well. I shivered. It sounded too real.

"No, honey. The devil in you still remains, especially when you're in your own considered hell."