Ch.5

The archives beneath the university were from a time before the desolation of their current world. It was obvious that great pains had been taken to preserve the knowledge. Many of the rooms were sealed in such a way that only a precise use of magic could open and close the doors, and only a few people were taught that magic in an attempt to reduce risk of accidental damage to the books. Havlik knew from his studies that the world before was much larger than their world; there were more authors catalogued than people currently alive. But he had only read a small sampling of them himself.

Some wizards devoted themselves to the histories contained within and knew things of the past that no one else did. Often, when some significant decision was to be made, those historians were called upon to research past events to see if wisdom could be gained. Usually there was nothing to be found, the people of the past didn't always make the best decisions, or if help existed the historians didn't know where. Sometimes though they could point to events that would very much color the decision being made.

The light from the mirrors reflected its way into the chamber, Havlik following the path. Near the entrance he nearly ran into one of the wizards who attended university the same time Havlik had. They were friends in their younger years, but their studies took them in different directions. He went into education and she into history. She'd become lost in the basement and he wouldn't see her for weeks, ultimately becoming one of the most respected historians, called upon often for advice.

"Draxta," He said, placing his hand on her shoulder and bowing his head. She did the same.

"Good day Havlik. What brings you down to the pits?"

Havlik nodded toward the magic reference section. "I need to find Barun, I've got a magic origin question one of my students posed that I didn't have the answer to. Do you know if he's back there?"

Draxta laughed rolled her eyes. "He's always back there. The man has no life. I keep telling him he needs to get a hobby, at least an outdoors one, and get his nose out of the books. Either that or a partner. I think his idea of family is the entirety of the research section, fellow researchers excluded."

Havlik smiled. That was Barun alright. He was fairly confident though that Barun neither wanted nor even thought of having a family. His studies were enough for him.

"Speaking of family," Havlik said, "how's that cousin of yours? Haven't seen her around lately. We didn't scare her off, did we?"

Draxta shook her head. A number of years back some of Draxta's extended relations died from pestilence. The onset was so fast the wizards were unable to arrive in time. Their daughter survived and Draxta took her in.

"Hardly." She paused. "Well, maybe a little. But she's timid as it is. A menacing horsefly would keep her away, let alone a giant building full of wizards," she grinned mirthfully. "Mostly though its her skin condition, nearly cloud white. Even being in the sun for a short period can burn her horribly. She's back at the estate keeping up the garden. She's got a knack for making things grow beyond their potential."

Havlik smiled. Yes, she had seemed a bit out of place the few times she'd been around. "That's a good skill to have. One day she'll have to teach the farmers." He gave a sideways look to the other room. "I should really go find Barun. It was nice talking with you."

"You too," Draxta said as she hustled along to wherever she was going before their encounter.

Hunting through the stacks Havlik eventually found Barun. Stroking his thinning beard, Barun was one of the elders of the university. He'd been old when Havlik first arrived but hadn't seemed to age a day. It made him wonder just how old the man actually was. The elder's nose was buried deep in a dusty book, handwritten text and illustrations covering the pages. Havlik coughed softly to get his attention. Nothing. He coughed a little louder. Nothing. He was about to try something else when Barun spoke, voice gruff and annoyed.

"If you're getting sick, I'd appreciate it if you do it elsewhere. My constitution doesn't agree with illness and my studies won't appreciate any lost time."

Havlik reached out and gently pulled the book away from Barun. "I was trying to get your attention."

The old wizard looked up and furrowed his brow, wrinkled face seeming to double its contours.

"Havlik." He harrumphed. "No good can come of this. What do you want?"

The younger wizard sat down across from his elder and spun the book around to look at it. There was a drawing of some sort of a portal on it, spiraled in blue ink. The language was archaic, something about transportation. Of course the old man would be reading something like this. He looked up at Barun.

"I need you to come with me. A quest of sorts," Havlik said. Barun snorted, clearly not game for that. Okay, different tactic. "We need to solve a mystery that no one's been able to yet."

Barun's face shifted ever so slightly. Well that got his interest.

"What mystery?"

Havlik pushed the book back to him.

"Where have the missing wizards gone?"

With Barun in the fold Havlik went for his second target, one he assumed he'd have no trouble convincing. Kar had been his pupil a few semesters back and had shown amazing aptitude with nearly everything she tried. Every once in a while there was a wizard who would command all the elements with equal power. Kar wasn't one, but she was the closest in generations. If it came down to a fight, there were few others he'd want on his side before her. Plus, there was her personal motivation.

Havlik found her in the training yard, the same place she'd been for nearly the entire last year. Scorched dummies littered the yard and breathless guards were running here and there replacing dummies and ammunition. Amongst the guards there was a mixture of longbows and crossbows. At Kar's feet were piles of shattered stones that'd been flung by slings. It wasn't exactly wasteful, some of the students could form them easily enough so more wouldn't have to be gathered, but there came a point where the practice was a waste of time. Kar reached that point months ago. She saw her former teacher coming and waved off the guards who were more than eager to comply.

"Good morning Havlik," she said, a challenge in her voice. "Come to test me again? I won't be tricked so easily this time around." Kar dropped into a crouch, her stout form seeming at odds with the position. Havlik wouldn't describe her as hulking, but she was definitely thick. There was no doubt in his mind that in a fist fight she would have the best of him and nearly everyone else placed in front of her. Dressed entirely in black her unkempt dark brown hair did little to give a different impression, falling haphazardly over shoulders and down her back, dirt and dust from the shattered stones dusting her haphazardly and the only bright colors on her person. Havlik raised his hands up as a show of peace.

"No, no. Nothing like that. With how you've been practicing I'm sure I'll be the one licking my wounds after. No, I have a favor to ask of you, one that'll take you away from your practice for a short while." She eyed him curiously. Ever since the disappearances started she'd been itching to do something about it, more so after the fifth one, but always she was told to stay put and finish her schooling, a charge she obeyed. Havlik was curious as to her exact response.

"Kar, I'd like you to come search for the missing wizards with me."

He held his breath, waiting for the reaction. Kar stayed crouched, motionless and seemingly in deep thought. Her pupils danced back and forth belying a conversation in her head. After a minute she stood and walked slowly to Havlik. Without a word she embraced him and held him tight. She released him, face clearly showing this was the news she'd been waiting for.

"About damn time."