high school AU (2/?)

Tony, Stephen and Peter have been working together to try and figure out what the reason is for the powers. It doesn't make sense, because it's a spider. Most people have been bitten by a spider, no one gets goddamned powers.

Tony would do research, but most of the technology he can get to, his dad would be so so so mad if he found out he used it for anything. And his dad looks though his phone any chance he gets- especially when he's drunk- so Tony wasn't gonna risk researching that. And things seemed like they were going fine...

Until around 3 days after Peter told them about the Spider Situation.

vvvv

vvvv

Tony groaned loudly as he grabbed for his phone. When he lifted his head, his chemistry book fell from under his face and made a crash on the floor. Too loud. He looked up at his door.

vvvv

He unplugged his phone so he could lift his bed's covers over his head, and put his headphones in so he could answer the call he was getting at 2 am without being heard, and hoping his dad was too blackout drunk to hear the crash of his textbook.

"Peter? What the hell? It's 2 am!" He whispers into his headphone mic. "You shouldn't even be up right now."

But Tony's entire mood changed when he heard a kind of sob sound from Peter.

"Pete? You okay?"

"I'm sorry j-just I thought of you first but i-it's stupid don't worry-"

"No Pete no, are you home? I'm on my way." Tony hung up, got his coat on and slipped his shoes on his feet.

He quietly opened his window and crawled out onto the windowsill. "Ooooh yikes." He muttered under his breath, using one hand to pull his coat tighter around him and looks how far down the floor is.

Meanwhile, Peter was crying in his room, clutching a blood-stained jacket to his chest and sobbing into it, completely curled up.

He felt bad for calling Tony, but he didn't know who else to call. It was all he could do.

Tony tore through the deserted and cold fields. Peter Peter Peter. They live in entirely different places, so it was gonna take Tony quite a while. He could get a lift...or steal his dad car. But the consequences of that were not something he was about to risk if he's being honest. But he ran as fast as he physically could to get to him.

When he finally did, he messaged Peter saying he was outside his apartment's door. "Can you let me in please kid?"

There's a pretty long time before Peter sniffs loudly as he opens the door, and Tony immediately hugs him, he's sobbing on Tony's shoulder and all he can do is rock him and rub his back.

"Are you okay kid? What's going on?" He leans back after Peter doesn't respond, and holds his cheeks in his hands. "I'm gonna need you to tell me what's going on so I can help okay? Let's go to your room." Peter nods and starts showing Tony the way there.

Tony hasn't been in Peters apartment before. He never knew why, but in the nicest way possible he's starting to suspect.

It's a lot smaller than anyone else's houses or apartments out of all his friends. Well. Steve isn't really the richest but it was bigger than this. It's nice, homey, it's just not what Tony is used to. And now he sounds so snobby oh god. This kid is crying in front of him what is he doing thinking about this?

When Peter sits on his bed Tony sits too and hugs him. "Pete you gotta tell me what's going on." Peter nods. "He- Ben- He got s-shot. I could have saved him but I-I didn't know how to use my powers and they o-overwhelmed me so I couldn't d-do anything!" He sobs again and looks down, running a hand through his hair and Tony puts his arms around his shoulders instead and hugs him like that.

"Pete, kid, I-I'm so sorry. I really am. But it's not your fault-"

"Yes, it is Tony!" Peter shot up, his hands moving up from his sides in an angry motion.

"If I'd have gotten over myself and not been so useless I could have saved him! What's the point of these stupid powers if I can't use them properly?!" Tony flinches and Peter sits down harshly on his desk the other side of the room and props his feet up on the desk chair.

Tony hates people shouting.

A lot.

"Peter please don't shout. I know you're stressed and scared and feeling guilty but shouting isn't helping, okay? None of this is your fault."

Tony goes over to him and Peter sniffs loudly. "I just. It feels like I don't get a break." He cries again and leans in to Tony, and the older quickly wraps his arms around him and takes a deep breath, running his fingers through his hair. "I know kid. I know."

They stay hugging for a while. "You want me to stay the night Pete?"

He nods, so Tony rubs his back and then sees something on the floor behind Peter. "Hey...What is that?" Peter sniffs again as Tony pulls away, and beelines to a piece of red and blue fabric.

"A-uuuh nothing!" He runs and goes to grab it but Tony snatches it up before him.

It's a. A onesie? A red and blue onesie. With....with goggles?

"Peter seriously what is this? Some cool new fashion trend or-" Peter seized the 'onesie' and threw it in the back of his closet. "Nothing it- it's really nothing...just. Well, when I got my powers I thought helping people would be the right thing to do...so...."

Tony looked at him with a bewildered expression.

"You mean, you put on a...a fashion statement outfit and it helps people?" "N-no! It's a disguise. I go out there and...and beat bad people up when they're trying to do something."

He stares at Peter again. Then he starts laughing.

"What? What's so funny? Why're you laughing?!"

Tony laughs harder and grips onto the edge of the desk and collapsed in the chair, and stops laughing before saying what he's actually laughing at.

"Just. Do you fight crime in that? Peter...Peter no. How about you come over to mine sometime? Not tonight obviously but uh..."

He tries to think of a day his dads out of town.

"...Friday. My house is free on Friday so you should come over then. I can help you make a proper suit. My dad has like..a place he has all his ideas for building stuff and he makes it there. There's tons of stuff we could use there to make it."

Tony smiles softly at the younger and can tell he's thinking about it. Tony knows he can't stop him. He's known Peter long enough to know he's too stubborn and good to give up on doing something so kind. But he can help him, and make sure he doesn't die before he graduates.

"...Okay. Friday after school I'll see if I can come over."

Tony smiles bigger and hugs him again, patting his back.

"Great!" They're quiet until Peter pulls away this time. "Hey uh. Thank you, Tony. For all the stuff you've done. And for coming over tonight. It means a lot." Tony pulls him back into a hug tighter. "Course...So where am I sleeping?"