English language narrative - character building.

In the narrative, it is fundamental that the character is fully developed. I've found that when I wrote my own narratives in the past, I lost marks for character development because I never went into the intricacies of a person's dimensions and how their psychological state ties in with physical action. An example being when a person bites their nails when they're nervous. 
To aid character development in your plot you need to have a deep understanding of the character which can be advanced through a list of attributes:
Age-
Gender-
Appearance-
Biggest fear-
Happiest memory-
Saddest memory-
Guilty pleasure-
Fatal flaw-
Religion-
Philosophies-
Morals-
Treasured item and why-
Relationship status-
Bad habits-
Good habits-
Sexuality-
Job/school-
Favourite music-
Least favourite music-
Talents-
Mental state-
The more understanding of the character, the better as when you adapt your narrative to one of the titles or scenarios, the standard of development should still be maintained.

Another point is that you should show how your character feels, not tell the reader directly.
So instead of:
'as soon as Jake got to the podium he became excited yet nervous for the speech he was about to present.'
Say something like:
'Upon stepping on to the podium, Jake felt a surge of adrenaline travel through him. He glared out at the huge crowd as he tried to steady his already shaking hand before delivering his speech.'
Obviously this wasn't the best example but it shows that you can connote a persons emotions through their actions or through an observation of their behaviour.

~I hope this helped you in creating a high grade narrative :)