English language narrative - setting development.

In a narrative, setting is fundamental for a fully developed piece of writing. When creating this setting, you need to think of the following things:
What you can see-
What you can hear-
What you can smell-
What you can taste-
What you can feel-
Weather-
Relevance to the character-
Significant objects in the area-
Are there people?-
Is it a positive or negative area for the character?-
For higher level candidates, you want your setting to be unique. So avoid things like football stadiums or school. Not only this but you may benefit from keeping the setting small, like a bedroom because generally, describing a smaller area is much better for attention to detail than a wide area like a park.

Keep the setting accurate to a place you know, like your kitchen or maybe your favourite restaurant because it is much easier to describe an area you know well in detail than somewhere that you've never been. Simplicity is key in the exam, of course the actual development has to be to a high standard but the base of the narrative should be simple so that it can be altered to fit different titles.

Example:
Place - favourite restaurant
What you can see- tables crowded with customers, food.
What you can hear- customers talking, clashing of cutlery on plates
What you can smell- various Chinese foods
What you can taste- noodles - spicy but salty
What you can feel- heat of the food
Weather- raining
Relevance to the character- favourite childhood restaurant
Significant objects in the area- rows of counters with pots of different food on.
Are there people?- waiters, customers and family.
Is it a positive or negative area for the character?- positive

Obviously the final description will be more detailed but short notes are a key to remembering everything you want to write in your narrative because it would be difficult to memorise an entire narrative as well as all of the other content needed for gcses.

To summarise:
-keep your setting small.
-base it on a place you know well.
-focus on key objects that hold a meaning to your character.
-don't over complicate.
-memorise short notes on the area (this goes for the character too).

I hope this helped, if you have any questions or requests for another topic or subject please tell me so I can write up some tips.