10. /Loveless Marriage/

60 years ago

"How on earth do you expect us to get married without your father's knowledge?" Adama asked her beloved. As far she was concerned he wasn't making any sense at all.

"A Marriage doesn't need much to get done," Yarima replied, looking expectantly at her. He knew she knew this, maybe a reminder would suffice.

"I know a marriage doesn't need more. My problem is how we can keep this away from Sarki in his own kingdom. Are you hearing yourself!" she whispered.  Yarima massaged his temples slowly. Adama is making this so hard.

"A witness, an imam, and the dowry is all we need, these sums up only 3 to 4 people plus ourselves. Then we'd keep it hidden forever and ever" he said, squeezing her hands.  Adama removed her hand from his. He still wasn't making any sense. They're a lot of loopholes in this thing he's saying. What if they got caught?

"Am I supposed to remain a spinster all my life? You think my parents won't go crazy seeing their daughter has come of age and is refusing to get married?" she asked him. He scratched his head, giving what she had just said a thought. His mind didn't wander there. Almost immediately, an idea came to him.

"After our marriage, we'd get you married to someone who knows about our plan. The person can marry whoever they please since you're still married to me. It would only be a charade for the people's eyes" he stated eagerly.

"Adama, you don't know how much I need to touch you appropriately, I love you with all my heart! I need to feel you. I am willing to do anything to get you" he said, moving closer to her. He was about to kiss her but she turned away. Afraid, they'd never stop if she consented to a kiss. She needed to be in control since Yarima has been lacking any for some time now. She peered at him knowing this plan is the only thing that can work. She doesn't know when his father would die, not that she's praying for the man's death. If he lives for long, then Yarima might never be able to marry her. With a heavy heart, she agreed to his plan. In due time, Yarima took permission from his father to go visit the neighbouring town. He had his most trusted guard with him, and an uncle of his. Adama on the other hand brought her uncle who loves Adama with all his life. She explained everything to him, after cautioning her he agreed. The journey had been filled with hesitation from Adama’s side. She had her doubts about the probability of this being a big mistake. She knew having her uncles’s support was supposed to serve as a motivating grounds but, it did very little to ease her fears. She feared they might all be in grave danger if any of this should get out. Getting rid of her won’t be hard at all.

On that day, Yarima and Adama got married, their happiness knew no bounds but the fear of getting caught was settled in the pit of their individual stomachs, Although Yarima had hatched a plan with his most trusted guard to arrange a sham wedding between him and Adama so as to cast away any suspicious thoughts. His guard could marry any woman of his choice whenever he wished to as a second wife in the eyes of the people, but his own very first wife. Yarima would make Adama his personal maid, so that he could be with his legally married first wife, whereas he would marry his father's choice as his own second wife. Being his personal maid meant uninterrupted hours of being together with no suspicions whatsoever.
......................

"How could you not say no to him? Why on earth would you agree to his silly request? You know Sa'eed would be pissed with you" Sarauniya said to Sarki, immediately they got inside her chambers. Sarki groaned.

"Fatima Zahra not now, there's nothing you're saying that I don't know, stop stating the obvious. I have my reasons, if Haidar gets his way, then I won’t have to deal with his misbehavior. Remember I pushed this condition on hi. He needs consolation" he explained, much to his wife’s frustration.