Sleep Tight

The atmosphere was suffocating. Joseph had untied his hair and taken his coat off to cool down, seated on Aesop's bed.

The room's owner, however, was away from the comfort of the mattress. He looked at himself in the mirror and his frowned forehead in the reflection. He never felt this tense in his whole life. The embalmer slipped the hair tie from his hair to let it down to his shoulders. He tried to concentrate on not looking like a mess. It would end up worsening Joseph's condition. But easing his nerves was getting exhausting.

Eventually, his feelings consumed him. Sweat dripped down his neck, making his skin tingle with discomfort. He left his jacket on a chair nearby. He let out a trembled, heavy sigh. His body was so stiff it didn't feel like it was his anymore.

"Just for the record, you look beautiful with your hair down."

"Amazing how you can flirt after a death experience." Aesop answered dryly while taking off his mask. He knew it was Joseph's way of calming him down, but he wasn't in the mood. Not now, knowing if he had arrived a second later, he wouldn't even be talking to him.

He turned around to find the photographer smiling painfully at him. His blue eyes were reassuring that nothing else would happen. It was all over now.

The embalmer took a breath and returned the smile. "You look great like that too."

Joseph tapped the blanket near him, calling him to his side. Aesop sat next to him, refusing to look directly at him.

"I thought I had lost you." The man grabbed his hand. They were warm now.

Joseph intertwined their fingers in response. "I'm here. You saved me, remember?"

He did and was grateful for that. But that didn't mean he wasn't in the dark, too.

"I don't understand. I... This... This skill I have, it only works on survivors!" He looked into the hunter's eyes. "How are you still alive? I don't get it!"

"All I know is that I died there, Aesop. Both mentally and physically. And you brought me back." Joseph pulled him into a hug. "I am so thankful for that."

They lost themselves in each other's arms. Neither of them expected to still be able to do so, and that was one more reason for them to relish.

"Sleep here." He heard him whisper.

Joseph giggled, not quite letting go of the embalmer yet. "What? You know I can't do that."

"The rules don't matter right now. I want you to be safe, and only return when things are sorted out."

"The photographer continued to cuddle him, considering the bold request. He was (almost) killed for liking a survivor, imagine what they would do if the slept next to him.

"I can't imagine what would happen if you went there right now. I can't risk losing you again."

Joseph fell in. Even if he didn't want to, he couldn't leave his side on a moment like this.

"I'll stay." He said.

Aesop exhaled in relief. He would be safe for the night here. "You can get to bed. Rest up, I'll be back in a second."

Joseph opened his arms to let him go and watched him as he organized some papers. He attended to his request and got under the covers. Although he was dressed in his normal clothes, the bedsheets embracing his body were enough to guide him to sleep.

When Aesop was ready to lie down as well (him too, not caring about his pajamas), the hunter was sleeping soundly. He wrapped himself in the blankets, facing the man. He looked so peaceful, far gone on his dreams instead of death.

As much as he didn't like it, the embalmer's body needed the rest as well. His eyes started to close against his will. Deep down, he thanked his photographic memory, for being able to put his mind to rest and still envision his loved one's face in front of him.

Before his body could completely give in to tiredness, he heard a quiet murmur.

"Je t'aime."

Aesop, of course, had enough French classes to know how to reply.

"Je t'aime aussi."

A soft chuckle was the last thing he remembered before falling asleep.

===============================

THE END 

Don't worry! I still have an extra coming up!

Thank you so much for reading this!! The time you spent reading this story is something I will never be able to thank enough for.

I hope the things I plan to bring you in the future are as good as the support you gave to me on the course of this fanfiction.

22k views is mindblowing!

- Love, Lightwood