8

Maggie spent months developing a strange bond with Olivier Enzo. She spoke to him purely in French and for that, she was his favourite person in the entire regiment. Andrew Douglas, whom he knew was the one who called Maggie, was his second favourite.

Maggie was sure it was because Olivier reminded her so much of Steve. The boy was freshly eighteen and had instantly enlisted in the French army, the difference being that he had been approved for the war without any serum enhancements. Maggie felt an intrinsic need to protect Olivier, a need she couldn't quite explain.

Over the next few months, Olivier fought in Bucky's troop. Maggie had to admit that for a boy of eighteen, Olivier was incredibly skilled with a rifle. He had her back more than she had his.

Then came October, and a battle that would haunt Maggie for as long as she could remember it. She would have greatly appreciated the scenery in Azzano if she hadn't been dodging bullets to save soldiers from bleeding out.

"Olivier, derrière toi!"

Before the German soldier attacked Olivier, Bucky took him out from at least fifty yards away.

It was bad enough that they had to fight the Nazis, but Johann Schmidt decided to send a Hydra force out as well -- a Hydra force that did not care who was who and opened fire on the soldiers, German and American alike. The battle turned sour for both sides. Neither knew who they were fighting, each other or Hydra.

Bucky seemed to gravitate toward Becky and Maggie, the twins watching either side of Maggie while Olivier kept pressed against her back.

"Cover Doc!" someone shouted, "she dies, this whole squad is as good as dead!"

While Maggie really didn't like the soldiers offering themselves to keep her safe, she selfishly relished in the fact that their ring kept the twins and Olivier protected too.

Several soldiers fell and her heart broke into thousands of pieces even though she knee they were gone long before they hit the ground. Men shouted all around her to cover her, each other, the Barnes twins.

Hydra stood over both troops in the end. Maggie screamed when she noticed Bucky among the captured.

"Get her out! Get her out of here!"

Becky wanted nothing more that to run after her brother, but she listened to him and kept a firm grip on Maggie.

But when Maggie saw Olivier somehwere behind Bucky, she tore away from Becky with strength neither knew she had. She would not lose them both.

"¡Manos fuera de mi muchacho, bastardos!"

Bucky fought against the Hydra soldiers to get to Maggie, as did Olivier. Becky tried to get to Maggie from the other side. She could not lose both her brother and her best friend.

When Maggie realised she was now among the captured, she called out for Doug.

"Get her back to base!"

Becky tried her hardest, but Doug had resorted to using brute strength to keep her back. He knew he would leave bruises on her wrists and probably around her middle, but he also knew that neither Maggie nor Bucky would forgive him if he let Becky be among the capture too. He took the punches and kicks from the agent with resilience and simply refused to let her go. When she realised that Hydra had left and had taken with them Maggie and Bucky, he offered her the only comfort he could and a promise that he would get her back to their base camp.

Becky's hands shook with rage as she wiped her tears. She would go with Doug to base. Once she got there, she'd find Colonel Chester Phillips and make him send out a rescue party.