Chapter 3

“Newt, you need to tell Mary the rules. You know, the basic stuff. About how you’re not supposed to go in the Maze unless you’re a runner, and don’t be out after dark because of the Grievers.” Alby tells me.

”Why can’t you?” I smirk.

”Because she knows you better.” He laughs a bit.

”All right. Touché.”

”I’ll go find Mary and send her your way, so you can show her around and tell her the rules.”

”All right. You’re the boss.”

”You know it.” Alby laughs.

”There’s the Gardens on the North East side, where we grow the crops, get the water, stuff like that. Homestead on the North West side, where we all sleep, as you know. At the back of the Homestead is the Slammer, I don’t really have to explain that,” I laugh a bit. “The Bloodhouse on the South East side, where we raise and kill the animals to eat, and Deadheads on the South West side, where we’ve been a lot these days, that’s mostly graves and dead trees. Hence the name.”

We walk a little further and reach the opening in the wall where the runners go.

”Then there's the Maze, where the runners go everyday and try to find a way out. Around here, we have a few rules. You do not under any circumstances go into the Maze unless you’re a runner, and don’t be out after dark because of the Grievers.”

”Could I be a runner?” Mary asks.

”What?” I laugh, knowing she would never make it out there.

”Could I go out and be a runner?”

”No, you’re a girl.”

”Excuse me?”

 “Girls could never be runners. They don’t have as much stamina as us guys.” I say, smirking.

“Excuse me?” She repeats.

“That’s right Greenie. You’d never make it out there.”

“Oh is that right? What makes you so sure?”

“Girls are weak. They don’t have as much strength and energy as we do. And us guys are just better at pretty much everything.” I smirk.

“Well then. Thanks for the confidence.”

I laugh a bit. “You’re welcome.”

“Are you sure I couldn’t just try it once. Go along with one of the other runners?”

“No one trusts you Greenie, why would they let you go along with them alone?”

“Maybe you could take me then.” Mary suggests.

“No can do. I haven’t been a runner since I got this limp. So sorry, no I couldn’t.”

“Then could I try going out into the Maze with someone else? Please…”

“Fine. Tomorrow though, you’ve only been here one day. Wait it out. And I’m only saying yes so you’ll stop bugging me. I’ll have to talk to Alby and see if you could possibly go with Minho.”

“Okay. Thanks Newt.”

“Yeah, you’re welcome. Go get Alby for me, and then go make yourself useful somewhere else. Thanks.”