Chapter 1

Today was starting out to be a pretty normal one if I had any say in it. After yesterday, I think I deserved some peace.

A Greenie had arrived two days ago. Which was normal. But then yesterday, another one came, and it was a girl. Saying "Everything is going to change."And clenching a note in her fist, saying, "She's the last one. Ever."

So today, I think I deserved some quiet and hope that nothing of any importance happened.

I sit down on a bench and eat some lunch, but not even two bites in, the Box alarm rings and everyone starts to walk towards it, wondering what surprise the Box could be holding today.

When it opens, Minho is the one to check out the person. "It's another girl. And she's awake."

I see a few panicked faces, themselves wondering if she had any bad news like the last girl had. A few walk off, angry expressions on their faces, and some were just plain confused, as I was.

"Newt." My eyes dart towards the girl, now standing five feet from me.

"How do you know my name?" I ask.

"You mean, you don't remember me?"

"No, I'm sorry I don't. Don't remember much of anything these days."

"How do you not remember?" She asks.

"I just don't, okay? I don't even know how old I am, or what happened before I came here." I snap, before running off before she can talk to me anymore.

******

I haven't talked to anyone in days. I've been under such stress these past few days, I haven't been doing much of anything.

'Newt, are you okay?' I hear a voice say in my head. How in the world? 'Newt, can you hear me?'

I scream out, causing everyone to stop and stare at me. Wondering what in the world was wrong with me. I run into the Deadheads, until I reach the wall and slump against it.

'Newt..., it's Mary. What are you doing?' The girl says in my mind. "Just go away!" I shout out. "Get out of my head!"

Moments later I see Alby come through the trees, towards me. "Newt, what's wrong? Are you okay?" He asks.

"Mary's talking in my freaking head." I spit out, my teeth gritted.

"Who's Mary?"

"It's the girl that just arrived. She talked to me in my mind."

"Dude, you're losing your mind. You're not hearing anything, maybe the suns getting to you. And you're spending too much time alone. Why don't you come back with me?" Alby suggests.

"Why? Why can't I just sit here and go crazy by myself?"

"Newt, I insist you come back with me."

"Fine." I get up and follow Alby back into the light of the Glade.

As we walk back out, I notice Mary sitting alone against the Homestead.

Since her arrival had been so abrupt, and so random, much like the first girl, people have started to think it had perhaps been a trap, from the Creators, much like the other girls' arrival. So everyone avoided her.

The other girl was in a coma, so there was no way to ask her anything. But since Mary was awake, this would be the chance to ask her if she remembered anything that would help.