Chapter 5

I’m woken up in a cold sweat by a blood-curdling scream.

A girl’s scream.

So it’s either Teresa or Mary. Though more likely Mary, since Teresa was in a coma.

I sit up and put my hand up to my forehead, wiping away the moisture that had accumulated there. Sucking in deep breaths before getting out of bed and walking out of the room.

As I pass Mary’s room, I see the med-jacks holding her down, due to her spasms caused by the Changing.

I quickly run down the stairs and out of the Homestead, into the Glade.

Not paying attention to where I'm going, I accidentally bump into Thomas. “You okay?” He asks.

“Yeah, I guess so. I never get passed that. That’s a terrible sight. And that sound... it gives me chills.”

“Oh I know exactly what you’re talking about. I remember that with Ben. That’s something that’s not going to leave my head anytime soon.”

“Couldn’t have said it better. So anything happen while I was asleep?”

“No, nothing really. Teresa called me in, she’s woken up slightly, and was talking to me.”

I decide to risk asking Thomas about the telepathy thing. Since Mary said that all four of us created the Maze, and that we could all communicate telepathically. “Thomas, can I ask you something and not sound crazy?”

“Sure, I guess.”

“Did she talk in your mind?”

Thomas looks at me like he’d just seen a ghost. “Can I answer you without sounding crazy?”

I nod. “Yeah, she did. Why are you asking?”

“Mary can speak in my mind too.” I tell him softly, hoping no one else can hear.

“Really? Are you just pulling my chain here?”

“No, I’m completely serious. Why would I joke about a freakin’ chick talking in my mind?” I ask, my voice a bit pitchy.

“Sorry. So how crazy is that we can hear them speaking in our minds?” Thomas laughs nervously.

“Really crazy. Can you keep a secret?” I ask.

He nods. “She says that me, you, Teresa and herself, helped create the Maze.”

“You’re making this up right? Tell me you’re joking.”

“I wish I was Greenie. I wish I was.” I sigh.