Chapter 4 - Third Party Invitation

*Cassie’s POV*

“Meet the Originals,” As Klaus spoke, the chattering in the room stopped. It was epic.

Well, at least it was epic, until I heard laughter from behind.  “Sorry, brother. But you should really stop trying to be epic. Epic is… so not you.”

I turned to the direction of the sound and I quickly recognized the guy in front of me.

“Kol?”

“Cassie?”

He and I said it at the same time that everyone laughed. Well, everyone but Klaus. Though I didn’t find anything amusing about it.

“You know each other?” Klaus asked, even though it sounded more like a statement. He sounded surprised too.

“I met him a century or so ago,” I admitted.

“Yes, brother. Why? Are you jealous?” Kol teased. Jealous?

“I think he is, Kol. Look at him!” a blonde girl—their sister, I think—said, receiving laughter from everyone in the room—minus Klaus and me. I smiled at it, though.

“Shut it, ‘Bekah,” Klaus snapped and everyone laughed at him.

“What’s with all the fuss?” a sound from the staircase and they all fell silent.

“Nothing, mother,” Klaus answered. I turned to see a beautiful woman, dressed in a white silk robe. She must be their mother. She looked caring, motherly and yet, firm. She portrayed a perfect mother. Her hair was blonde and long. She looked quite young for a woman her age—despite the one-thousand-year-old resurrected witch stuff. And she reminded me of my own mother. Oh, mother, how I missed you so much…

“And who is this young lady?” She questioned.

“I’m—my name is Cassandra Ainsworth,” I introduced myself.

His mother then told him she needed to speak with him. When he returned, he introduced his family to me. There’s Rebekah, the blonde girl, Kol, the second youngest, Elijah, the one with solemn look, Finn, the oldest among them all and lastly, there’s Esther, their mother.

They all seemed friendly, even though I got the sense that Rebekah and Finn didn’t seem to like me so much. I wasn’t so sure about Elijah, his expression was unreadable. And Esther, I couldn’t tell. She put up a friendly expression but she sounded stern. The only ones who accepted me kindly were Klaus and Kol—Klaus, because he was the one who brought me here, Kol, because we’d known each other before.

After the whole polite introduction, we chatted. Mostly, Kol and Rebekah were teasing Klaus. Elijah asked me some questions. Finn, on the other hand, wasn’t included in the conversation, as his mother said she needed to talk to him.

“Where are you from Cassandra?” Elijah asked me.

“I was born Bulgarian but raised in Canada,” I tried to answer politely. “And please, call me Cassie. I don’t feel comfortable when people call me with my full name.”

“Cassie, you don’t have to talk so politely,” Kol said.

“Well, it’s either polite or sarcastic. And Elijah is very nice to me, so I will be polite. As in you two, you didn’t get a good start,” I said, pointing at him and Klaus.

Elijah chuckled. Rebekah laughed and said, “I’m starting to like this girl.”

I grinned at Rebekah’s comment. We continued talking for an hour or so. Finn even joined us for a while. Then I realized it was already late.