7.

Kokichi kept running until he couldn't see anyone around anymore. He knew he couldn't go home anymore, so he quickly ran into a dark alley. It was quiet, and all he could hear were cars driving by and the occasional voices of people walking by, but that was it. 

He breathed heavily, dropping the bags weakly and sliding down the wall, slowly closing his eyes and trying to focus on his thoughts. He couldn't help but think of Shuichi in the moment. He found himself to have a dumb smile on his face, though quickly opening his eyes from his realization. 

Had he really just been in denial this whole time? Yeah, he loved Kiibo, but this feeling was different. He had memories of Shuichi for that short amount of time before the whole game started. He had still been nice to him, and treated him well. He thought he didn't have that stupid crush on him, since it had been years, but he supposed he was wrong. 

"What are you thinking, Kokichi? He wouldn't give you a chance. He's already happy with Rantaro." Kokichi sighed, hugging his knees closer to his chest and hiding his face in them.

But maybe they had a different fate.

"KOKICHII! WHERE ARE YOU??"

Shuichi's voice. Panic. Kokichi's head shot up as he quickly stood up, like his body just forced him to. His thoughts were going a thousand miles per hour as he ran out from the alleyway, and then there he was. 

It hadn't even been an hour since Kokichi had been gone and hidden away, which didn't even feel like it, and Shuichi found himself running up to Kokichi and trapping him in a hug. He didn't know why he did, but it was just what felt right. Without really paying attention, Shuichi had slightly lifted him up in the hug. He had the biggest smile on his face. It was like two soulmates meeting each other for the first time.

Kokichi was caught by surprise, but he slowly began to smile as well and hugged him back. They almost completely forgot about the flashback. Honestly, they were just glad to see each other. 

"I-...I'm sorry for running away..." Kokichi was the first to speak, not really paying attention to his actions. He closed his eyes as he gently leaned his head onto Shuichi's chest. The warm hug made him feel so tired.

"Hey, hey, it's okay! Don't blame yourself, Kokichi. You were just caught in the moment. It's alright." Shuichi spoke so softly, it was mesmerizing. It made Kokichi feel a lot better.

"You...really mean it?" Kokichi opened his eyes once again and they unfortunately let go of each other, but still made eye contact.

"Of course I mean it! It's alright now anyways, I found you." Shuichi's smile was genuine, Kokichi could tell.

But quickly, Kokichi was caught by surprise. Shuichi held his hand out to him, almost as if telling him to grab it without words. 

"But anyways, how about we go find Kiibo and let him know that you're alright? I'm sure he's worried sick about you. And I suppose I have to talk to Rantaro, too, I uh...I kinda ran off after you, too..."

Kokichi paid attention to Shuichi's hand and slowly grabbed onto it and responded simply, "Yeah, I suppose that's a good idea. But...you really ran after me?" 

Shuichi grinned and turned around, leading Kokichi to walk down the street with him.

"Of course I did! I didn't want to lose you, you're a...a good friend to me, you know that?"

"Aww, how sweet of you! But, I guess I could say the same to you."

For the rest of the way, they talked about what has happened so far and their journey to where they are now. To Kokichi, it was quite fascinating.