Wet Sugar [Part 12]

"I'd wash the sand off the shore
Give you the world if it was mine
Blow you right to my door
Feels fine

Feels like - you're mine
Feels right - so fine
I'm yours - you're mine
Like paradise..."

Sade—"Paradise"

"What are you doing?"

Yani's cousin Cee Cee watched her pack up her old purple suitcases as Twyla sat on her bed holding Sydette. After asking her question, Cee Cee's face held a scowl of disapproval.

Yani took a good look at all the belongings she had.

Clothes.

That was it. Clothes for herself and Sydette, a few shoes for work, and a couple of hats and beanies. Her old plastic anatomy figurine that she had as a child so she would know all the parts of the body and take them apart. Sydette's stroller and high chair. She owned nothing of real value. Only the earrings that Erik bought for her and Sydette were worth anything.

"You don't know that man!"

The fury in Cee Cee's voice made Yani stare at her.

"This is so like you, Yani. Always ready to be up under some man. Thought you were getting your own place with that girl."

"I am. But the apartment won't be available until September. Killmonger offered me a summer job. I'm going to be doing what I normally do there."

"Givin' him pussy too? Is that part of the arrangement? He broke your child's faddah's jaw! What if he acts like Chez? Who can stop him when he gets violent? They always turn on you. Don't be so stupid...so desperate for a man."

"Cee Cee..." Twyla said.

"It's true. She always gotta have some man like they are going to save her or something. Stand on your own two feet!"

"I'm getting paid to work there. He's paying me more so I don't have to work three jobs. I can have Sydette with me. I can save a lot of money working there and I will be standing on my own two feet. I have my own car now, and I will have my own place to live. You should be happy for me instead of tearing me down. And this...this is just a summer set-up. He'll be leaving..."

She hated saying that out loud. She kept pushing back on the idea of this life with Erik being temporary.

She glanced down at her clothes again. Two full-sized suitcases filled to the brim. Yani tucked a plastic bag deep underneath her pants, hoping her cousins didn't notice. It was a sexy lingerie set she bought for herself. Her heart fluttered thinking of sleeping in a bed with Erik later that night. They would be alone and could be together anytime they wanted. She would finally have sex and she wondered how different it would feel after having Sydette. Plus, Erik was so big. Chez had some length, but Erik, he had length and girth and an aggression that had her shivering just thinking about being in bed with him.