"Wet Sugar" [Part 16]

"Had we met at a different time we'd be perfect for each other,
Now we're spending all our time, in this world come together,
My heart is aching, from all the love you're giving,
We're not faking, is this the life we're living?

I'm not perfect, but I'm perfect for you,
Now I'm right on time,
I'm not perfect, but I'm perfect for you,
I feel right on time..."

Grace Jones – "I'm Not Perfect (But I'm Perfect For You)"

Klaue spends a whole day blowing things up with his arm.

Boulders. Old Trucks. An unused structure on his property. Giant trees.

If he wasn't blowing things up, he was using the sonic canon to terrorize his South African crew by blowing up large chunks of earth in front of their vehicles when they drove around his property. The man was hellbent on destroying things.

He asked about St. Thomas and the compound. Erik informed him that Leona was on vacation with family and that Yani was housekeeping in her place. A few days a week. He said that so Klaue wouldn't trip when Erik checked live feeds of the exterior of Our Lady's Manor. Yani knew to maneuver around with the baby so that Sydette never appeared on the streaming video feed. The few times he was with Klaue when he checked the feed, Yani was seen cleaning the pool or patio, allowing Kendall and crew to come through for landscaping, and also toting laundry back and forth to the apartment under the front house. No sign of Sydette. Yani wore her typical sweatpants and t-shirts. Occasionally a beanie or baseball cap.

Erik did his best not to look too interested in Yani when they watched the feed. He felt a rush of emotion in his chest the moment his eyes saw her dragging the pool net through the water. She had on headphones and was preoccupied with her work. He wondered if Sydette was asleep in her room, or if Yani took her to Leona's. He wanted to call her. Listen to Yani's voice make that melodic sound when she called him Killmonger. He wanted to face chat with Sydette and hear her call him Baba. He now knew why so many of his merc cohorts stayed away from having long term companions. It was too hard having a family and doing the work.

Linda looked very relaxed being around Klaue.

Erik didn't suspect anything between her and Klaue, but he could tell that the man let her get in real close to him. It felt like she had slipped into the role of a consigliere, not quite at the level Erik was with Klaue, but pretty damn close.

Huntsman didn't like her at all. Perhaps it stung seeing two uppity negroes having so much influence over Klaue instead of him, a guy who worked for the man for over twenty years. Erik saw Huntsman's eyes take on the look of a tiger ready to pounce whenever Linda spoke to Klaue.