CHAPTER THIRTY THREE

Dara's POV
I stood there for a while wondering why Halimat had asked about Kevin and I. Who was I kidding? I knew she liked him. For some strange reason it bothered me. I didn't like that it bothered me and I also didn't like that I was paying unnecessary attention to it either. I walked slowly till I arrived the front of my class, lost in my thoughts.

Just as I was about stepping in, someone ran into me. My books fell again. Ugh! This has got to stop happening to me!! I bent down to pick my books before looking at the person that had caused my mini accident. Annabelle.

She was furious. Uh, okay.

"Tell Ini she should stop being a coward and face me herself". Annabelle spat out angrily. I shook my head in annoyance. I couldn't just understand how someone as beautiful as Annabelle was seriously lacking in common sense.

"What are you talking about?" I asked wryly.

She hissed, "Don't play dumb with me! I know you're in on it too". I shook my head in disgust and hugged my books to my chest. I hated carrying backpacks so I had to carry my books on my hands which wasn't really comfortable but gave me a high sense of seriousness.

"Annabelle, the next time you're bored and you decide to pick a quarrel with someone, please don't let it be me". I walked past her and almost made it to the class before my collar was yanked back by a very pissed off Annabelle. Luckily, this time around, my books didn't fall, my fingers tightened around them in the nick of time.

"Are you crazy?". I was more than ready for a fight now, my voice loud and harsh. Her hands were balled tightly into fists like she was trying to prevent them from breaking something or hitting me.

"You think I'm kidding right?" She was yelling now. "She's ruined my life in more ways than I can ever imagine! Why? What did I ever do to her?" Her eyes watered as she spoke. No, yelled.

I gave her a look that said seriously? You need to ask! I inhaled deeply, trying to keep my own anger at bay. "First of all, Inioluwa hasn't ruined your life in any way and secondly don't ever lay a finger on me again!". I turned on my heel and walked into the class, a little part of me wishing she'd pull me back once more so that I could have a good reason to land her a punch.

Annabelle wasn't dissuaded, she followed me in. Halimat was the only person in the class. As soon as she saw us, she stood up and left the class, muttering something under her breath.

We had the whole class to ourselves and Lord knows I won't hesitate to throw punches if need be. We both stared at each other angrily. I noticed she no longer had tears eyes.

"She took my mother, and she took Jimmy. But no, that's not enough for her, she wants more! She wants to milk me dry!!" Her nose flared as she spoke, each word spat with venom.

I dropped my books on a nearby locker and folded my arms, "What do you mean she wants more?"

She frowned at stared at me for what felt like hours when in reality it was only forty seconds, like she wanted to see through my soul. Returned her gaze with one just as fierce and unsettling. Finally, she tore her gaze from mine and took a step forward.

"You really don't know".

I was tired of this whole drama. "I really don't know what?" I was impatient now. I stomped my foot on the ground hastily.

A tear slipped from her eye. "She took from me again. Dammit! Why does she love shopping out of other people's carts?!". I rolled my eyes. I was sick of this nonsense. When exactly was she going to make her point?

"What did she take from you?"

Just as she was about to speak, Inioluwa walked into the class with a frown on her face. What was it with Inioluwa and timing these days? She looked pretty in her neat school uniform, even though she wasn't wearing a smile. She looked at the both of us and immediately realized her mistake as soon as she did.

One minute Annabelle was standing in front of me and the next she was in front of Inioluwa. She shoved Ini into a wall and barked at her. "What did I ever do to you?!" Inioluwa didn't flinch or even try to struggle. She just stared into Annabelle's angry ones and said nothing. I tried to diffuse the situation by attempting to get Annabelle off of her but it didn't work. Her grip was too tight on Inioluwa's shirt.

"Answer me, what did I ever do to you?" There was pain in her eyes.

"You ruined my friend's family". Inioluwa replied simply, a bored look on her face.

Tears rolled down Annabelle's cheeks. "Haven't I been punished enough already? You took my mum, you took Jimmy....". As soon as Jimmy slipped out of her mouth, Inioluwa pushed her away, her calm demeanor gone. There was fire in her eyes. "Don't you dare mention his name! If you really cared about him you would've never slept with his father you slut!"

I didn't know what to do. I frantically prayed this won't escalate more than it already had.

"I didn't know what I was doing!" Annabelle was sobbing loudly. "Why does everyone stand up for you when you're so wicked! Even Halimat is in your side!"

"That's because I'm not a slut! Nobody's afraid I'd sleep with their father".

"That's not fair Ini!" Her voice was filled with pain. I felt a little bad but I didn't show it. Inioluwa rolled her eyes at her. Annabelle heaved heavily and continued talking. "Did you have to take him too?" I guessed she was referring to who she was presently dating. I was curious tho, what had Ini done?

Inioluwa chuckled. "I didn't take him. I didn't even know he left you. Don't you get it? Your life doesn't matter at all". As soon as Annabelle heard the last part of the sentence, she quickly shoved teary Annabelle into a shelf within her and locked it, but not before unleashing her true bitchy self. Cold Annabelle.

The battle line had definitely been drawn.