7

Sure as the sun, the group of them continued to march off to Cherrygrove. The stars faded away with their steady pace, melting into the brightness of the creamsicle dawn. Nuria had been returned due to exhaustion, and even though Red had said nothing Crystal could tell he was exhausted too. Not that she was much better. Crystal was drunk on her feet, with her head in a hangover of sleep deprivation and her mind focused on nothing but finding a soft bed to sleep in.

It was probably around 10:00 when the group reached Cherrygrove. The sun was high and bright, making the city seem like an illusion. But the alluring scent of lavender, rose, and iris touched Crystal's nose, waking her up and telling her that they were indeed there. She could feel the gentle brush of salty sea breeze coming from the shoreline. Memories of coming out to the shores with her mother brushed her mind and she smiled. This wasn't so bad. It was like a vacation.

"Have you ever been to Johto?" She asked Red, taking a moment to breathe.

He said, "No, I don't think I have. Or at least, not that I can remember."

She smiled. "Well, welcome to Cherrygrove City. It's a popular beach destination, and they hold the cherry blossom festival in the spring."

"What's it like? The festival, I mean." He asked.

Crystal shook her head. "I've never been, which is ironic because I live in the town next door. I probably ought to go at some point."

"Well, have you ever been to Cherrygrove?" Red followed up.

She nodded. "Of course. My mother loves the beach here, so we've walked over before in the summer to go visit. Making your way here is a lot faster when there's less distractions."

"I can imagine," said Red with a laugh.

Crystal released Nuria who gave her a look which was along the lines of 'why did you wake me up from my nap'. She shrugged at her Pokémon and continued on. Within the hour, the group was in the city. Her heart raced, full of excitement and wonder at making it there by herself. And somehow, being there on her own was so different than any memory Crystal had with her mom. It was like seeing the city in a whole different light.

She loved the way that the pines were lodged everywhere, adding an additional naturalistic touch to how the city was full of parks and flowers. People walked about chatting, like their own musical, contrasted by the chirping of Pidgey and Spearow hiding away. Nuria sniffed around, looking at all of the people who towered over her. She kept close to Crystal's leg, while Red walked out into the crowd.

Which was when someone walked straight through him. Crystal stood there, watching as the crowd passed through Red. The whole idea of what she was witnessing only served to contribute to the insanity of what was going on. This is somehow very real, and very possible, she kept telling herself. It was like a mantra. This is real, this is real, this is real...

"They can't see or hear me, can they?" said Red.

Crystal shook her head and spoke to Red, which got her a look from someone passing through him. "I don't think they can."

"Well, it's good to think that I'm not the only one who thinks you're crazy," Red remarked.

She glared at another innocent passerby, who held back her purse. "Oh shut up. I'm going to book a room."

"You know you might want to find a way to make this less awkward," said Red.

Crystal scoffed. "Like what?"

"Talk to Nuria, I don't know," said Red.

Nuria, who heard her name mentioned by Red, remarked, "Cynda!"

"Well fine," Red snapped back. "We'll find a different way to make your trainer look like she isn't insane."

"Not a trainer," Crystal reminded Red.

He rolled his eyes. "Whatever. Aren't you a dead woman walking? Don't you finally want sleep?"

"Yes!" Crystal exclaimed, arms up in the air. She clenched her teeth when looking at the people around her. "Whoops!"

The three of them made their way to the Pokémon Center, laughing the entire way. The sheen of the orange roof was enough to make Crystal sigh as she went inside. What a good day to be alive. The smell of sterile equipment frosted across her nose as she went in and her body shivered with delight. Her mind was beckoning for sleep.

"Welcome to the Cherrygrove Pokémon Center," said the Nurse Joy of the location. "How may I help you today?"

Crystal smiled like she was looking at a piece of steak. "How much to sleep?"

"Uh," said Nurse Joy, flustered by Crystal's question.

She gave the woman a dead stare. "I've been walking all night. How much is a room?"

"Oh...oh! A room is 100 Pokédollars a night," said Nurse joy.

Crystal's eyebrows rose. "That's one-fifteenth of my money!"

"I'm sorry ma'am, that's just the price that we're offering due to demand," said Nurse Joy. "The room will be ready for you right away though, if you'd like to still have it, since it's almost noon."

As Crystal fished out her wallet in anguish, Red stood next to Nurse Joy and pretended to put his arm around her. "You know, if you became a trainer, this wouldn't be an issue. Winning is a very effective way to make money."

She tried not to glare at Red as she handed Nurse Joy the money. "Thank you Nurse, you have a fabulous day."

"Of course, you'll be in room 105 right down the hall," she said.

Red cackled at Crystal's angry silence the entire time the woman walked down the hall. Even Nuria, sassy as ever, looked at the man with a strange expression. Crystal ignored him, and went straight for the door. She let the keycard work its magic, and stepped into the room. Right as she got in she slung her pack on the ground and felt the weight lift off her shoulders, a boulder rolling down a large hill.

"Watch out Nuria, your trainer is going to trample you if you don't let her sleep," said Red, trying to shoo the Cyndaquil out of the way.

Crystal glared as she slipped off her shoes. "Shut up and don't talk to me."

"Yes ma'am," said Red.

And then, flopping down without even getting under the covers, she was out.