14

There was something about seeing Violet City for the first time that made Crystal feel alive. Having grown up in a small town and only making the occasional trip to Viridian on behalf of Professor Elm, she was amazed at seeing what a bustling city was like. Even under the glow of evening lamps, people bustled and chattered, a stream of life snaking its way through the backdrop of an old, historical city. The smell of street food was tantalizing to her nostrils, as the mouth-watering scent of fried food came from some direction off in the distance. Sweet melodies wafted from a Biwa accompanied a story that a street performer was telling. To her surprise though, multitudes of Stantler walked freely among the crowds, receiving smiles from the locals.

"What's with all of the Pokémon everywhere?" Crystal asked Red, pointing at a group of Stantler bowing to a person handing out food.

He shrugged. "What ever could you mean by that? It's a city, Crystal, don't you think the people who live here would have them?"

"That's not what I meant, and you know it," she said.

Red chuckled and shook his head. "The Stantler are eating senbei, deer crackers. Have you never heard of that?"

Crystal shrugged. "No, I haven't. Then again, I've never travelled across Johto."

"Well," Red continued, "I'm sure they live wild around here. Though it's not quite a regular thing to see that many Pokémon wander into a city for food. You know, besides Trubbish or Pidove. But that's an entirely different story."

"You're a nerd," she said.

He laughed, as Crystal began to walk through the crowd. "You are too, though. Hey, where are you going?"

"Don't worry," she said, cradling Nuria, and avoiding facing Red. "We're going to the Pokémon Center soon, that way you can rest up and we can get ready for our battle tomorrow. Even if I really want to explore the city."

"Then you really should. Getting sleep is important and all, but part of being on a journey is learning about the world around you. Take time to explore Violet City. It's quite a historical place, after all," said Red.

She found herself in agreement with Red. Crystal wandered the streets on her way to the Pokémon Center, listening to snippets of chatter from people whose faces and lives were ever so unfamiliar. The life around her seemed to just move, in a way that was so different and unfamiliar to her. She watched the people around her with a curiosity and interest she never knew existed within her.

Couples walked with strollers and children played in the street. Friends socialized with their Pokémon, seeming to gossip about friend groups that Crystal would never know. Families dined at restaurants, happily sipping booze and talking about the flow of life. And somehow, although she felt small in her place, there was something oddly comforting about knowing that the world around her was moving, and was unaffected by her presence in space and time. Things around her just seemed to flow and that was alright.

"I'm getting tired," she muttered in no particular direction, as she took a third pass down the main road of Violet City.

Red shrugged. "Then call it for the night."

Forgetting her rules, Crystal looked at Red. "Yeah, but we've looked so many times for it. You see a bright orange roof, dipshit?"

"No," said the trainer, "but someone clearly needs a rest. Why don't you sit and look at that massive lake over there for a while? You've walked by it several times, but I don't think you've even looked at Sprout Tower."

"That's not true," said Crystal. "It's pretty hard to miss the 50 foot tower over yonder."

"Actually," Red corrected, "it's 100 feet tall. And it's pretty important. The monks that live there study a philosophy about how all living beings survive through cooperation. They're said to be experts in Bellsprout training, since, you know, the tower is said to be made from one. So I'd say it's something to pay attention to."