20

She was lost. There seemed to be cold everywhere, and the horrible sound of rushing water seemed to surround her. And there was that same awful feeling, as if everything around her were a punishment for this intense guilt. Crystal breathed out but her breath became ice. She lifted a hand to her face, only to see that it was covered in blood. The trainer dropped to her knees and called for one of her Pokémon, but nothing came.

"Did you think you were smart?" asked a voice she didn't know, coming from her father's mouth. "Go on, do what you will. I deserve that much."

Her father stared her down in his new jacket, and held out his hand with something in it. She took it and felt the cold vanish form her sides. Yet, the incredible amount of pain that she was in remained. Arguing voices surrounded her, pushing in, closer and closer to some deadline. Names she recognized but couldn't remember floated past her, until all of a sudden they stopped and she was in the cold once again. Except, now she felt something evil staring her down, telling her she was going to lose. And then it attacked.

Crystal woke up screaming.

"Hey, hey," Red said, hovering over her. "It's alright, calm down. You're safe here."

Nuria snuggled close to her trainer. "Cyn..."

"It's ok guys," she said, wishing the speed of her heart would calm. "Again, just a nightmare."

"Well," said Red, "what was it about? Do you remember?"

She grit her teeth. "I was somewhere so cold. And there was water, and blood. Someone was talking to me too."

"Well, I guess somewhere cold is a clue. There's not many cold places out there," he responded.

Crystal gave Red a look. "Well, like where?"

"In Johto there's that cave near Blackthorn City, right? That uh—" Red said.

Crystal cut him off. "The Ice Path. But really, shouldn't we be thinking of places in Kanto? Especially since I've never been anywhere cold in my life, much less to the Ice Path. The dreams probably have something to do with you."

"Well, then there's the Seafoam Islands and Mt. Silver," he said. "Both of those are in Kanto."

She furrowed her brows. "No they're not. Mt. Silver clearly belongs to Johto. It's to the left of the Indigo Plateau."

"Are you kidding me? No it's not. Don't forget the Indigo Plateau is still technically part of Kanto, and since it's so close..." said Red.

Crystal rolled her eyes. "It's part of the same mountain range that houses Tohjo Falls. And I'm pretty sure that those mountains are more Johto than Kanto."

"Not if you actually divide Kanto and Johto on a map," Red replied.

She shook her head. "And while we're on the topic of maps, the Pokégear lists it as Johto territory, so there. I win."

"Real petty of you Crystal," he replied.

She snickered. "And what, you've been to the top of Mt. Silver to prove me otherwise?"

He laughed at her. "Who in their right mind would ever go to the top of Mt. Silver? Just accept it, you've lost."

"You being wrong aside," Crystal responded, "I think that narrows it down to Seafoam Islands. As far as we're concerned, you've never been to Mt. Silver, and probably would never have a reason to go there, so the islands make more sense. Especially since it's so close to Pallet Town."

Red smiled. "I'm surprised you even know where I'm from, being so against trainers and all."

"I'm not an idiot," Crystal responded. "Even I've heard of the great and mighty Red who hailed from Pallet Town. Besides, this already came up. Did you lose your ability to actually remember things when you got caught in that photograph, too?"