Chapter 11

Arsulu

When Eric leans in, I stop breathing. My eyes dart from his half-lidded eyes to his beautifully distracting lips then back again.

It feels like eternity passes in this small time frame of just seconds. And in these few moments nothing and everything happens all at the same time.

I notice that Eric's eyes have flecks of gold in them like the sun. I almost feel like I can feel the sun's rays radiating from them. His breath ghosts over my lips and I smell that sweetness that can only be described as Eric.

Most importantly I can hear the dolphins screeching at me in the distance.

I freeze finding that I was leaning into Eric like I was in some sort of trance. And even though I know I wasn't, it's the story I'm going to stick with. My hand pushes against Eric's muscled chest, keeping him from moving any closer.

He pulls back, confusion overtaking his features.

It takes everything in me to not search the waters outside the windows and instead to turn and face Eric. The screeching rings through my ears relaying a message. This may be the only chance.

"I'm sorry, I don't know what came over me." Eric distances himself further until we have several feet of space between us. Once I see that his hands have balled into fists, he follows my gaze and crosses his arms in front of his chest.

Princess hurry!

A flurry of thoughts bombard me. It's now or never. I may never see my family again. 

Yes, this beautiful, brute of a boy is here. And despite how mad he's made me thus far and the weird voodoo he's using to mess with my head and emotions, he's the only human to actually give a damn about my well-being in this world.

But Triton is not here. Neither is Proteus or Morgana. My family that has been my backbone and my lifeline since birth won't be here with me.

Could Eric replace these few cherished family relations that I have?

No.

So in the end, I choose my family. And that's why I surprise even myself when the ear-shattering screech that leaves my throat.

Run.

"W-what's wrong? Are you in pain?" He stumbles forward, his eyes flash over my body searching for some indication that I am not well.

I gasp for breath, my chest heaving up and down. When my breathing slows, I jut my chin out and square my shoulders. "I think I may need something for pain, do you have anything?"

His brows jump up his face and he rushes to me, grabbing my hands in his. "Of course! Why didn't you say you were in pain sooner?"

One hand holds mine, his other arm wraps around my waist and he shuffles me back up the stairs and into the room down the hall. My room.

Flustered, he searches around the room for anything for my "pain" not realizing that the pain is in my heart. I may have just given up my only way home to protect them from humans.

My mind replays some of my favorite memories of my family. Triton's first time he ever took me to the wrecked ship yard. Times when Morgana and I would sneak to Mermaid Cove to read books from the human world. The first time I saw the human world through Proteus's magic mirror.

But my mind in it's analytical way reminds me that things weren't always as precious as I want to remember. Some of my saddest memories play after the happy ones. 

When my parents didn't show up to my fifth birthday and I knew for the first time that I wasn't a priority to them. Each time the kids at school would back away from me or treat me differently once they saw the royalty crest. The day I graduated mer-school years ahead of everyone else my age in an attempt to make my parents proud but they didn't even show up to the ceremony.

Eric eventually gives up looking for anything medicinal and his worried eyes analyze me, missing nothing except for the true reason that my heart is breaking.

Maybe this is for the best.

When my eyes dart behind him to try and check the sea and make sure that my family has heard me, his eyes catch mine and follow my gaze.

"C-could you.. maybe.. patch me up?"

His eyes widen in surprise and his face flushes but my words have the desired effect and he turns back to me.

Finding some nearby bandages, he has me sit in a chair and starts by wrapping up each of my arms.

Looking out across the veranda, I secretly hope that they didn't heed my warning and still wait for me. But I know in my heart before even looking that they are long gone. It doesn't stop the twinge of hurt when I confirm it with my own eyes.

"You look like you are in some serious pain," his words are truer than he will ever know. "I could wake Carlotta-"

"No," I don't even allow him to entertain the thought.

He is careful not to let his hands linger on my body as he wraps. Very serious and focused on the task given to him.

His breathing is shallow, raspy almost. I know he knows I can hear it when he gulps and tries to clear his throat.

Silence stretches between us. 

Not companionable silence like when my brother and I are studying or Morgana and I read a book together in secret. Awkward silence.

Only the sounds of bandages wrapping, un-wrapping and re-wrapping can be heard in the room. Every once in a while, Eric makes a huffing sound synonymous with frustration but he presses on, dedicated to his task.

"You know.." he says breaking our awkward silence. "I still don't your name." His eyes look up and back down so quickly, I'm not sure if I imagined it or not.

The silence settles again on us as he waits for a reply.

I debate in my head if it would make more sense for me to give him my actual name or if my name is too odd for humans.

Finally I decide on a name I heard in the town square days ago, "Vanessa," I say. "Call me Vanessa."

A smile spreads across his lips, "Vanessa. What a beautiful name," he muses to himself. His smile is crooked and imperfect. And I like it. I'm glad that I chose that name. I know that my real name would not have gotten the same reaction.

His black hair falls into his face as he finishes wrapping my second arm and takes a deep breath.

"Alright Vanessa, both of your arms are wrapped." He puffs out his chest and places his hands on his hips seeming very proud of himself.

"Thank you, Eric." His face reddens at the mention of his name. I drag the sleeves of the nightgown I am wearing back down my arms and in my stretching of the fabric, Eric stops moving next to me.

"Vanessa.." he whispers. I watch as his blue eyes squint together once, then twice, and once again in confusion as if he cannot see. "Y-your stomach.. I-Is it.. Glowing?"

Author's note: Chapter originally published Nov 4th 2019 and revised Nov 24th 2019.