Chapter 18

Eric

Thinking back on it, her task is almost impossible.

'I need you to take me to a secluded place along the beach. Somewhere that no one else will see us.'

Where exactly does she expect me to find that in an unfamiliar country and in broad daylight?

I sink into the sand with each step which would happen even if I wasn't holding the most beautiful girl I've ever met in my arms.

Her now lilac eyes catch the sun at an angle causing to look more gray than purple.

The most beautiful, secretive, 'sick' girl I've ever met. I amend.

She holds the lavender shell earrings in her hands, rolling them between her fingers repeatedly. I don't know what they mean to her, but for me, it's a reminder that I still know too little.

I clear my throat. "We need to talk."

One of the shell earrings stops moving.

"So talk."

Faltering, I think about it for a moment. How do you even start that conversation? 

know you aren't human, so what are you? 

Oh yes. Let's possibly insult her and demand answers at the same time. Bravo you idiot.

"I've seen some things.. that don't exactly.. make sense." I gulp. There's no taking the words back now.

She rests silently against my chest. 

I would almost think she had fallen asleep if not for her small fist clenching and un-clenching the shirt fabric on my chest.

The silence stretches on as we round a large rock shielding us from the view of onlookers and any ships coming into port.

"I know," she finally answers. She takes a shaky breath before lifting her eyes in search of mine.

Her breath mingles with mine and in her eyes, I see longing, unfulfilled wishes and a silent plea that I am more than willing to answer.

But she pulls away before I get the chance.

"Place me down here, near the water."

Doing as she says, I carefully place her on the crease between the sand and the waves. They lap at her side, drenching my white shirt up to her waist.

When the waves next return to her side, she kisses the shell earrings and they come to life, glowing faintly in her hand.

She drops them in and the waves pull them out to sea.

"Are you prepared?" she asks suddenly.

"P-prepared.. for what?"

"Prepared to see a few more things that you won't understand."

A moment later, a man with hair like brown leather and a long beard springs out of the water and I know we will never know my answer.

Protruding from his brown hair are web-like ears that extend all the way down to his shoulders.

There is no white in his eyes, no differentiation from his eye-ball to the pupil. Everything is blue. On his neck, there are three gashes on both sides.

It takes me a while to realize that they aren't gashes at all, but gills. I watch in fascination as they move up and down as if they have a mind of their own.

In his right webbed hand, he holds a large fork that is about his height from what I can tell. And although half of his body is still submerged, he is enormous.