Soulmate AU

(This one has some Jaepil on the side)

"Dowoon, you've been eighteen for two weeks now. Why haven't you tried reaching out to them yet?" Jae asked his friend who was also his roommate.

On everybody's eighteenth birthday, their soulmate would be determined. And from then on, any ink that appeared on your skin, would also appear on theirs. Nowadays, as soon as somebody turned eighteen, they would try to reach out to their soulmate, write notes on where they were and when to meet up.

Of course, there was a chance that your soulmate wasn't eighteen yet, and that you had to wait for their birthday.

With Jae's soulmate Wonpil, that had also been the case, and it really made Jae impatient at the time.

Dowoon remembered having to tell him that it wasn't that his soulmate didn't want to reach out, but that they literally couldn't yet.

The day a small heart appeared on Jae's left hand palm, had been the best of his life, as so he said.

"You don't want your soulmate to feel like I did, do you? Why are you keeping them waiting?"

Dowoon sighed.

"Or maybe I AM you, and my soulmate is not eighteen yet."

"Well, you never know until you try."

"Why all the rush?" Dowoon whined.

"What do you mean?" Jae asked.

"Don't you want to meet them? Once I met Wonpil, my entire world shifted and changed. It's an amazing feeling, Dowoon, trust me. You don't want to miss it."

"I'm just afraid. What if they're not "the one"? What if I'm left disappointed? What if they don't like me?"

"Dowoon, it's your soulmate. You were made for them, they were made for you. They can't just not like you. It might be awkward when starting out, but you were destined to be together. Just try writing something."

"I'll do it tomorrow."

But, that same afternoon, Dowoon came bursting into Jae's room, yelling:

"Jae-hyung! Jae-hyung! Hyuuuuuung!!!" as if something was on fire.

"What?" Jae asked, startled.

"Look! Look! On my arm!"

Dowoon held his arm up, and pointed at where his sleeve was rolled up.

When Younghyun just turned eighteen, he had been bitterly disappointed when nobody responded to the constant messages he wrote on his hands and arms. Now two years later, he only occasionally wrote something small when he felt like it. But he figured that as soon as his soulmate turned eighteen, they'd reach out to him.

However, during this one economics lecture he had been particularly bored, and without even having the whole soulmate thing in mind, started giving himself a sharpie tattoo sleeve.

He scribbled some random flowers and abstract shapes, just something to get rid of the boredom.

He didn't know that only a few kilometers away, a freshly turned eighteen was freaking out when the flowers appeared on his arm.

"Hyung, they're drawing something! Look how cool it looks! You don't think it's an actual tattoo, right?"

Jae looked at Dowoon's arm and chuckled.

"No, don't worry, that would be pretty selfish of them to get something permanent. I think they're just messing around a bit. Come on, write something to them so they know you can see it!"

Dowoon felt panic rush through his body when he realized that this was really going to become the moment that he'd be reaching out, after thinking about this mysterious somebody for his entire life.

"I don't know..." he mumbled nervously.

"Oh come on!"

Jae grabbed Dowoon's arm, and before Dowoon could stop him, he had written a simple "hi" on Dowoon's other arm that wasn't painted in flowers.

Younghyun gasped and widened his eyes when he saw the "hi" appear on his right wrist. He totally hadn't imagined this would be the moment his soulmate would write something to him, especially now this was coincidentally the first thing he had drawn on himself in a few weeks.

His friend who was sitting next to him wondered what was wrong.

"Look, Sungjin, I think it's my soulmate,"

Younghyun whispered, and he showed Sungjin what had appeared.

Sungjin also widened his eyes, and covered his mouth in awe.

"Yo, I'd ditch this lecture if I was you. I'll take notes for you. Come on, go write something back to them."

Younghyun didn't have to be told that twice, and he was gone with ten seconds.

"Jae!" Dowoon exclaimed two minutes after Jae had written on his arm.

"What? Are they writing back?"

"Yes!"

Dowoon held his flowered arm as if it would fall off once he'd let go of it, while in the same sharpie, sentences appeared:

Hey there, soulmate. I see you've finally turned eighteen :)  I didn't expect you'd be writing me now or that you'd see my drawing, but I'm so exited. My name is Kang Younghyun, and I'm 20 years old. I'd love to get to know you. What about we meet up as soon as possible?

Jae nudged Dowoon.

"Hey, yours is a guy too! Come on, write him something back!"

With a bit of a shaky hand, Dowoon wrote back:

Hey, Younghyun. Yeah, I turned eighteen two weeks ago. Sorry for not writing you earlier. I really like your drawing! My name is Yoon Dowoon. I'd also like to meet up soon. Where do you live?

By the end of the afternoon, Dowoon and Younghyun had exchanged phone numbers before they'd turn into walking notebooks.

Perhaps Dowoon wasn't as afraid anymore to meet his soulmate. And maybe, he was even exited.