Middle School AU

"What's there to be afraid of?" Younghyun asked, and he poked Dowoon's shoulder.

It was Valentine's Day, and Dowoon's trembling hands were clutching around a love letter. It was addressed to the most popular girl of their class, and it said:

"I think you're very pretty, I like you very much."

Dowoon knew he wasn't the only one who had written her something; more boys had, than hadn't.

That made Dowoon feel unsure wether he had actually written the card because he liked her, or because he was following the trend.

But he did know that whenever he looked at her, his heart would start pounding with adrenaline.

She made him nervous, and had the power to make anyone feel like she was superior, often without even saying anything.

"Her friends will laugh at me..." Dowoon squeaked.

"They won't. Come on Dowoonie, you're a cool, strong, handsome and smart guy. She can't help but fall for you, I'm sure."

During break time, Dowoon asked Younghyun: "Should I give it now?"

"Yeah!"

Younghyun immediately cheered.

"You can do it, Woonie! I believe in you!"

So, he timidly waddled up to her table where

she was sitting with her friends, laughing and chatting. When Dowoon came up to them, she gave him an annoyed look as if he has just ruined a joke.

"I... umm..." he stuttered.

The other people at the table were giggling and whispering, making Dowoon feel awkward and self-conscious.

"May I borrow a pencil?" he chickened out.

He returned to Younghyun with the pencil, and let out a deep sigh.

"Hey, what happened? Why didn't you do it? Come on, I'm sure she'll love it!"

Dowoon looked at the card, then at Younghyun, back at the card, at the pencil, and then back at Younghyun. He opened the card, erased "pretty", wrote down "handsome" instead of it, and handed the card to Younghyun.

Younghyun raised his eyebrow.

"Do you want me to give it to her for you?' he asked.

Dowoon shook his head.

'No, it's for you. You've been a lot nicer to me than she has ever been.'