Cubing AU

"Whoah, is that a Rubik's triangle!?" Younghyun asked in awe when Sungjin took a colored pyramid from his backpack.

They were in the bus, on their way to the cubing competition. Sungjin had joined for fun, knowing he wouldn't win anything but still wanting to have the experience, and Younghyun wanted to come with him so he'd have an excuse so he didn't have to babysit his little brother.

"It's called a pyraminx," Sungjin explained patiently.

"Wanna scramble it?"

Younghyun took the pryaminx and carefully scrambled it so the sides were no longer one color. By the time he was finished, Sungjin had already solved a regular 3x3 cube twice.

Younghyun had always been very impressed by his friend's skills.

"Here," he handed Sungjin the puzzle.

"I'll time it for you, ok?"

Sungjin nodded.

He was happy Younghyun was taking an interest in his hobby, and thought it was very kind of him to join him so he wouldn't be alone.

"Go!"

Within 15 seconds, the pyraminx was back to its solved state.

"I swear, you're a magician," Younghyun sighed.

That made Sungjin laugh.

Having arrived at the venue, Sungjin was starting to get more nervous.

"Come on, I know you can do it!" Younghyun cheered him on.

He got up behind his friend and massaged his shoulders like he was a boxer going into the ring, but Sungjin couldn't laugh about it. He was just nervously fiddling around with a 5x5 cube Younghyun didn't understand in his hands.

Younghyun decided to leave Sungjin to it, and went to wander around a bit when it was Sungjin's turn to do some solves. He wasn't allowed to sit with Sungjin anyways when doing the solves, so he'd better use his time to take a peek at the other competitors.

One boy stood out to Younghyun, as he was passing past tables. He looked unusually calm in his seat, as his fingers were twisting and turning effortlessly, quicker that Younghyun had ever seen Sungjin do it.

He had two friends by his side who were cheering him on, but he just quietly told them to stop embarrassing him, and that he wasn't nervous at all.

When Sungjin was done and joined Younghyun to look at some other competitors some more, Younghyun passed the quick boy again, who was now sitting at a table with a timer, doing his solves.

Sungjin noticed him too, but just groaned at the impressive times he was setting.

"What is he doing?" Younghyun whispered to Sungjin, when the boy slid an eye mask over his eyes.

"Blindfolded solve," Sungjin whispered back.

"That's impossible. How can you solve a cube when you can't see it?"

"Memorization."

"Damn. He must be really good, isn't he?"

Sungjin just nodded quietly, but then laughed and elbowed Younghyun when seeing his expression.

"Younghyun, get that lovestruck expression off your face. If you're that impressed, just go talk to him and he might teach you some tricks."

It wasn't quite his quick fingers that Younghyun was impressed with– or maybe it was, but for all the wrong reasons– but the fact that when he took off the blindfold and smiled contently at the solved cube, Younghyun noticed that he was actually really handsome.

"Fine, I will," Younghyun said confidently.

He snatched the 3x3 cube Sungjin was still holding out of his hands without asking, and walked up to the boy who was now finished and walking back to have a break while the scores were being calculated.

"H-Hey..!"

The boy turned around when being called, luckily.

"I...um.. I'm here with my friend, but I saw you just now and I was really impressed."

Younghyun felt his heart melt a little when the boy's ears turned red at the compliment.

"I don't know how to solve this," Younghyun continued as he held the cube up.

"And my friend is really bad at explaining stuff-"

A faint "yah!" was heard from Sungjin from the distance.

"-so I was wondering if you could teach me? If you'd want to, of course."

The boy thought for a second, and apparently surprised his friends by shrugging and saying: "Yeah, sure."

So, a few minutes later, Sungjin, Younghyun, the boy– who was called Dowoon– and his two friends Wonpil and Jae were all sitting together at a table while the scores were still being calculated.

Although Younghyun honestly couldn't care less about the cube, and he just wanted an excuse to talk to Dowoon, he was glad that Dowoon was actually a good teacher. Sungjin had tried teaching him before, but his instructions had been too abstract for Younghyun to understand.

By the time Dowoon had to leave the table to compete in the finals, and Younghyun had to comfort Sungjin because he didn't make it, Younghyun had already learnt how to solve the first two layers.

"Will I see you again after you're done?" Younghyun asked when Dowoon was about to get up.

"I don't see why not. You haven't been able to solve it yet, after all. Here, I'll give you my number."

For the entire bus ride back, Younghyun stared at the phone number written on his hand with black Sharpie like he had just gotten a hand from the president.

"You're doing it again."

"What?"

"Looking as if you just met the love of your life."