Be Lazy

Time flies when you're having fun. And when you're dreading for something to happen, time can go way too fast.

But sometimes, you have the luck of time standing still when being caught in a moment so precious you want to cup it in your hands and hold it against your chest, where your heart is, so you can protect it against all dangers from the outside world.

To Younghyun, these precious, timeless moments were like going to concerts. You'd be enjoying yourself, but you also knew that in a few hours or even less, you'd be home again, and every single second you were cherishing in slow motion right now would later only consist in a blurry blob of memory.

A few months into his and Dowoon's relationship, Younghyun found himself in one of these situations.

It was a Sunday morning in late springtime.

Usually, during their regular sleepovers, Younghyun would be the last one to wake up. He only happened to enjoy the luxury of waking up with Dowoon by his side when they had gone to bed very late that night, and Dowoon needed more time to rest.

But normally, he was already in the kitchen preparing breakfast by the time Younghyun's first nerve came back to earth, and by the time he had peeled open his first eyelid, his boyfriend was already done and patiently waiting for Younghyun in the living room.

But this morning was different. Too lazy to look at the clock, Younghyun didn't know wether he was up early, or Dowoon up late. But either way, he had been given the privilege of waking up earlier than Dowoon, and admiring his sleeping beauty.

His hair was pointed in all directions, the oversized shirt he had worn when going to bed had slipped off his shoulder, and there was a bit of drool in the corner of his mouth.

He looked like a mess, but it was not the type of mess that a natural disaster would leave behind, and neither one that made your fingertips ache and itch to clean it up. It was more so one that resembled a professor's desk, an abstract painting or a solved sudoku. It was messy, but it was nothing else than supposed to be that way. There was no need to fix it, no use in doing so.

Slowly, one by one, Dowoon began to wake up. It started way earlier than opening you eyes and yawning. Younghyun first saw Dowoon's fingertips flutter, then his eyelids, and then he moved his whole head slightly from side to side. Only then, when his body and consciousness had been rejoined, he opened his eyes.

Apparently, Dowoon's eyes had spotted the look of adoration in Younghyun's, because they narrowed and formed a smile.

"Have you been staring at me?"

"Maybe," Younghyun's rough morning voice replied.

"Good morning."

Younghyun repeated these words after his boyfriend, as if Dowoon's mouth passed them over to him, and now he was tossing them into the air, releasing them to the world.

Dowoon gave Younghyun a quick peck on the forehead and got up to get out of bed.

"I'll make you breakfast," he said.

But Younghyun's pinky found Dowoon's before he could get out. Younghyun knew that if Dowoon left the bed now, the fragile, precious moment would rupture and fragment into a thousand pieces.

"Stay," Younghyun said, toneless yet gently.

"I'm not hungry yet," he added.

"Just don't worry about breakfast yet."

Dowoon shrugged and got back under the covers.

And Younghyun didn't like that. He didn't like the carelessness in Dowoon's shrug that showed his heart was not burning and aching for the moment to last longer.

It made Younghyun wonder weather Dowoon enjoyed spending time together less than he himself did, or if they just enjoyed different moments. Or perhaps Younghyun was just a dramatic person, and Dowoon more modest.

Younghyun pulled Dowoon closer so he could wrap his arms around him and cuddle.

Cuddling with Dowoon was the best. Their bodies would fit under and over each other like puzzle pieces that were handcrafted to be together.

The only thing Dowoon didn't like was when Younghyun would press his cold feet against Dowoon's warm ones, so he restrained from doing so ever since Dowoon made a comment about it.

"You remind me of a blanket," Dowoon said, and his words were immediately followed by a chuckle because he realized that that sounded silly.

"The way you hug me, I mean. It's tender in a way you're not hurting me or causing discomfort, yet warm and tight. Does that make sense?"

Of course it did. It did, and it made Younghyun's cheeks warm. Dowoon needed to stop asking if things made sense after he said them.

Whenever Dowoon spoke, Younghyun got reminded of a movie quote:

"I like the way you say things,"

which was also probably the deepest, most thrilling, most flattering compliment Younghyun had ever heard of in his life.

The way Dowoon often presented himself, he seemed like a nice guy, but that was all there was to him. Dowoon constantly called himself simple.

Though the comment itself was not meant in a negative way, Younghyun was never fond of it when Dowoon said that. It sounded like he was a two dimensional, plain character.

The way he said things, though not always being poetic like Dowoon had pointed out and envied Younghyun did, always revealed a tad little more about himself than Younghyun already knew about him. That's why even small talk, chitchat, was interesting with Dowoon.

And even when they weren't doing anything, on lazy moments like these, Younghyun felt wiser afterwards. Like looking at a painting and with only doing that, learning more about the artist themself.

"Now let's get breakfast," Dowoon said after ten minutes.

"Nooooo~" Younghyun whined.

That made Dowoon grin. Though preferring to be active, he was enjoying himself. And teasing Younghyun was even more enjoyable.