Returning

After Askara showed up, Crimson's thoughts kept drifting to the Darknight Rogue Pack, and if there were other survivors of the massacre. She doubted it, but she couldn't resist asking.

"Hey Askara?"

"Yes Crimson?"

"Do you know if...well, if there are any other survivors."

"Oh Crimson." Askara said as she trotted up to her and put her head on Crimson's neck.

That's when Crimson began to think. "What if we went back?"

All four of them turned to look at her in shock.

"I mean, think about it if we went back, we could see exactly if there are any survivors. I mean, we'd be discreet so they won't know, but it could work." Crimson pressed.

"I mean, I suppose so." Stormflare said, "The only problem is, it's been so long we've all forgot which way we ran to be able to find it again."

They thought for a moment "Do you remember how long you'd been here when you found me?" Ryan asked.

"Six months." Crimson answered.

"Okay. Then do you remember if there was a full moon that night?"

"Well, the night before, was exactly six months after we started running, so yes it was a full moon."

"Do you remember which direction east was?"

"Yeah, it's not that hard as east is always the same. But I don't understand what this has to do with figuring out which direction the old pack is."

"Just bear with me. Which direction is that?"

"That way." She pointed her paw to the east."

"Okay, do you know how long you were running?"

"We ran for a day and a half straight."

"Do you remember where the sun was at dawn. Like was it behind you, in front of you, to the left, to the right?"

"No." Crimson said.

Ryan looked at the others, hopefully.

"I do." Orion said.

"Really!?"

"Yea, it was right behind us. I remember cause I was glad we weren't blinded"

"Great! Now we know which way you were running, and how long!"

Crimson was exited. She knew where Granite's pack was from where the Darknight pack is!
They made a plan to leave the next morning, and each left to gather berries. Ryan had found a huge blackbear skull and carved circles to fill the holes of the skull from other bones, and planned to use it to hold as many berries as they could. The next morning, they were ready to go and as soon as they saw the first light, they ran straight into it.

By dusk that day, they'd traveled sixty miles. It was a good thing they had an amazing navigator, Ryan, with them to track their progress and keep them on track.

They ran out of berries within the first thirty miles of running. They were all strong and lean from having to work harder than usual for food. Crimson was the strongest runner of the five of them because of her daily run up to the top of the cliff looking over the Bottomless Lake.
Orion was strong in general so if one of them got tired, it was mostly Askara though, he, Ryan, or Crimson, would carry them for some distances.

It was on the morning of the second day when they finally saw the part of the forest that was familiar once upon a time.

"We should be there in about thirty minutes." Said Ryan as they stopped to eat.

"Guys, before we go, there's something I should warn you about." Askara suddenly said as they were about to leave.

"What's that?" Crimson asked.

"The pack that attacked us, they show no mercy. They killed an elder because she broke a claw."
They stared at her in awe.

"It's why I've said I've been tired so much. I really haven't been, I just don't want to see you get caught and them kill you." Askara said, looking at Stormflare.

"Okay, we'll be very careful." Stormflare assured her, and they were off.

"Oh... My... God." Crimson whispered when she saw what had become of their old home.