The Cry of a Lone Wolf

The change was almost unbearable. What once was the training clearing, now had dens all over the place. As they circled the entire territory, Crimson noticed the pack ran things more like an army camp. Everywhere they looked, there were wolves with scars. No one looked like someone to cross. Not even the pups.

Crimson waited until the others were asleep before slipping away to find the Blackheart Pack. If only just to get a look of how things changed. She found the southern gate after about 15 minutes of looking for it. She looked for a place she could slip in. She couldn't find a weak spot, but she knew that Tristen's house was on the northeast wall, at least that's where it used to be. She was careful not to be seen as she loped around till she got to her destination. She looked up at a house and saw a person staring out one of the top windows. She recognized Tristen's house as that one and her heart skipped a beat as she saw the person was him.

He was staring out the attic window. He would be 17 now and he'd changed so much over the past few years, he was almost unrecognizable. His face was more angular than it used to be. She could tell that even in the dark light. His hair was long and shaggy. It was shaggy in an edgy sort of way. She saw him turn and walk away from the window. She was just about to leave when she heard noise from the window. She looked back to see him throw a rope out the window and start to climb down. Crimson ducked behind a thicket and when Tristen passed her she stepped out and followed him. He stopped in a clearing she'd never seen before. In the moonlight she could see his eyes had taken on a kind of hardness that reminded her of Orion, and it scared her. He had long legs and a fair torso. He looked harder than she remembered and he was quite handsome. 

She was turning to leave when she heard a voice, "I'm so sorry Crimson. I regret what I did that day every minute of every day. I miss you." 

His voice was deep and it took her a moment to realize he wasn't talking to her. She whispered under her breath "I miss you too. I love you to the moon and back." She was about to turn and leave when she heard another sound. She looked back and saw Tristen in his wolf form sitting on the grass crying. His dark gray fur shone like cursed silver. To her it was beautiful but untouchable. He howled. A long low tone that took on his sorrow and carried for miles. It was enchanting to listen to. It was low and menacing, but soft and mournful as well. She found herself compelled to listen longer. She felt minutes slip away. About half and hour later, he transformed back to human form and she saw his face was streaked with tears, and she could hear his light sobs. She heard a distant howl. Another lone wolf. 

She turned to leave when she stepped on a stick that broke with a loud snap. She looked back in time to see Tristen's head snap up. He quickly transformed back and pinned his ears. His deadly teeth and claws glinted in the moonlight and she jumped at the way he looked as if he could rip her to shreds without breaking a sweat. He turned slowly in a circle and when he faced her he stopped for a moment and she shrunk in the shadows. She felt his eyes on her and she knew he could sense her there. 

She figured she could show herself to him and talk to him one more time before leaving. She didn't think about how much she'd changed. She stood up and lowered her tail as a sign of submission. He lowered his head and growled. She took a tentative step into the moonlight and stood up straighter, raising her tail. She looked into his eyes and he looked into hers. It took a second before he realized one eye was crimson and the other white with four scars across it.
Could it be her? Tristen thought. He shook off the thought. It's just a coincidence. He growled as he circled her. When he got his chance, he lunged. A yelp sounded and blood splattered the luscious grass.