Chapter 4

Priyambada's wedding date was approaching, things were heating up in the Haveli, Suhasini Devi aka Ranima directing the servants to make variety of savouries for the guests, ensuring all Priyambada's maids got new sets of clothes, after all they will be with the bride all the time, she also ordered a pair of gold earrings and chain for each of them alongwith silver payels, Bani was in heaven, good food to eat, even if she got to wear Priyambada's discarded saris they were in much better than what she had, she bore patiently Priyambada's mood swings and where was the time, relatives of family were arriving each day, activities of the house increasing, his sons' too tried to outdo each other, while Vijayraj has commissioned for few 'baiji's from Lucknow & Benaras specially for the occasion, his brothers' sent for nautanki and circus parties, everyday a new event was taking place, Ranima organized special 'kirtans and akhand paths'...poor were fed and finally a day before the D day the barati arrived by the river, in their own luxury boats known as 'bajra' common mode of transportation amongst the rich of bengal (a sort of yacht with double decks normally, the rich used it for transportation and of course to hold amusement parties, which were often notorious).....

...When Ranima went welcome the groom alongwith Zamindarji, Bani too stood amongst the women folk with her head covered, through her pallu she saw Priyadidi's groom, tall and well built, he had big eyes head of full of thick hair.....she could hear the ladies next to her were taking sharp breaths....whispering iske bagal me Priyambada, yes the girl is definitely God's favoured child.....

When Bani returned Priyambada was eager to know, kaisa hai.....Bani rolled her eyes, khudh hi dekh lena 'jaimala' ki time.....before Bani could tease her some more, the other ladies came alongwith Ranima, beta dhodho nahao puto phalo, they blessed her, rajrani bano, god is great.....Bani stood with other maids watching the ladies of the house discussing and describing the new to be son-in-law, when Ranima's personal maid came to call her, Zamindariji has sent for you immediately......the matter is of great urgency....

+++++

As Ranima left, Bani noticed Priyambada sitting with her head bowed not elated inspite of knowing her husband or to be husband is a good looking man.....

Kya huwa Priya didi? Asked Bani.....

Kya baath ho sakti hai, Pitaji ko ma ka achanak itna jaroorat kya par gayi.....

Koi shaadi ki baath hogi....Sudharani said.....

Wahre kya dimag paya hai, Priyambada sneered at Sudharani, shaadi ke ghar me koi aur baath ho sakta hai kya?

Nehi matlab...mai keh rehi thi....

Tu rehne de, idhar ka sambhal aur Bani chal mere saath.....

Bani was curious to know what was going on in Priyambada's mind, she followed her wordlessly.....to Bani's surprise Priyambada took the back corridor used by servants, they stopped outside the window her father's bedroom where they could hear voices....

The boy has refused to come and stay at the house made ready by the Zamindar for the barati, not to say about the arrangements made for their entertainment.....

My baijis are ready for performance, the evening has also set in lekin Barati nehi aye.....

Vijay wait a moment don't get impatient, sab hoga, but then this matter is of great urgency.....they heard Zamindar's voice.....he cleared his voice, Suhas...Ranima..he addressed his wife...abhi abhi unka munimji aye the.....as you know Jai Nayaran does not have a father and hence his Munim is spokesman of the family specially at the time of his marriage....it is said the ladies of the house who have accompanied Jai Narayan... and other elders want to come and bless the to be bride.......